Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 85 vt1100 shadow. recently it would not start. I had it to the dealer diagnosed as a pulse generator problem. The pulse gernerator is no longer avaible. But I finally found a used one, installed it and still have the same problem. Runs till it warms up then shuts off, wait till it cools, starts up again. Is this a pulse generstor problem or could it be something else? please advise
Not sure what to to do next. Where to start trouble shooting?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sounds like a temperature related problem, could be numerous things, pulse generator, coil/s, ignition module, wires, fuel etc.
There's a few more bits of info that would help, after it dies do you have spark, if so weak or normal blue/white color. Any fuel getting to the carbs, if not try spraying a bit of fuel into the intake to see if it tries to run.
Pull the plugs and see if they're wet....Mike

·
Registered
213 Posts
Certainly sounds like a pulse generator going bad. From the picture below, which part did you replace?

Seems like #6 is a cam position sensor? Didn't know the old 1100's had one of those (if that is what it is). Do you have a manual or at least a wiring diagram? You can test the resistance of the pulse generators cold ( 480ohms +/- 10%) and then measure resistance as soon as the bike dies. Generally when a pulse generator fails it will usually measure ok when cold but after heating up present a high resistance which in turn fails to send a voltage pulse to the associated spark unit. Web sites like Service Honda seem to still show the parts as available.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info will I try those tips out this weekend. I replaced the the #2 harness in the picture. I did not see any other sensors in the area of the pulse generator. Is #6 internal also? If not where is located? I guess I'm going to have to invest in a manual. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.