Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a pulse generator be repaired? I found my problem. I have a reading of 293 ohms and nothing at the plug! It started a few times the other day with me Not doing anything! I put the tank back on and put it back together. And tried to start it again. Nothing zilch zero! No fire. I got it to turn over. It was the fuse. Let me know!

· Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,965 Posts
These are places to check when parts come up a "Not Available".
Megazip shows it available new assuming its the right one for your model, but not cheap of course.

Also try https://www.cmsnl.com

· Registered
57 Posts
Where do you get a reading 293 ohms if not at the plug?
Do you mean 293 ohms at the plug of the pulse generator, but open at the plug of the ICU?
If so, clean the connectors. Sometime I pull the pins out of the connectors, recrimp and solder them.

· Registered
151 Posts
Can a pulse generator be repaired? I found my problem. I have a reading of 293 ohms and nothing at the plug! It started a few times the other day with me Not doing anything! I put the tank back on and put it back together. And tried to start it again. Nothing zilch zero! No fire. I got it to turn over. It was the fuse. Let me know!
Absolutely can be repaired/Substituted. A pulse generator is nothing but a coil winding around a magnet pole. Instead of opening it and rewinding it very thin wire 32 or 33 AWG (which is possible, but very time consuming similar to rewinding a small stator) just go to a local auto junk yard and find a crank position sensor (located in the distributor of older 80s & 90s Japanese vehicles), most of them are made by Denso or hitachi, but have the same function; trigger the ignition.Measure the resistance until you find one within about 20% of the specs for your bike. Then just cut it off the harness an solder it to your harness and shrink wrap the solder joints. I repaired my CX500 and 650 Turbo's speed sensor exactly in this manner when they were not firing,as the part was long discontinued. I posted the repair on another forum at that time and here is my write up. TMIOA-Engine Speed Sensor - ECU abnormality? - CX500TC, scroll down to comment #4, August 7,2005. Since then lots of other guys have peRformed this repair successfully. GOOD LUCK, YOU CAN DO THIS !!!!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolutely can be repaired/Substituted. A pulse generator is nothing but a coil winding around a magnet pole. Instead of opening it and rewinding it very thin wire 32 or 33 AWG (which is possible, but very time consuming similar to rewinding a small stator) just go to a local auto junk yard and find a crank position sensor (located in the distributor of older 80s & 90s Japanese vehicles), most of them are made by Denso or hitachi, but have the same function; trigger the ignition.Measure the resistance until you find one within about 20% of the specs for your bike. Then just cut it off the harness an solder it to your harness and shrink wrap the solder joints. I repaired my CX500 and 650 Turbo's speed sensor exactly in this manner when they were not firing,as the part was long discontinued. I posted the repair on another forum at that time and here is my write up. TMIOA-Engine Speed Sensor - ECU abnormality? - CX500TC, scroll down to comment #4, August 7,2005. Since then lots of other guys have peRformed this repair successfully. GOOD LUCK, YOU CAN DO THIS !!!!
Thank u

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where do you get a reading 293 ohms if not at the plug?
Do you mean 293 ohms at the plug of the pulse generator, but open at the plug of the ICU?
If so, clean the connectors. Sometime I pull the pins out of the connectors, recrimp and solder them.
I got the reading from the icm plug the book said in trouble shooting part

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are places to check when parts come up a "Not Available".
Megazip shows it available new assuming its the right one for your model, but not cheap of course.

Also try https://www.cmsnl.com
Jeez 85.00$ 129 from us

· Registered
4,965 Posts
Jeez 85.00$ 129 from us
I did mention not cheap.
It is pretty well typical when items become unavailable from normal sources, the companies that specialize in hard to get parts crank up the prices to reflect the scarcity and what they think the market will bear as regards price.
A classic case of "I know what I've got".

· Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,644 Posts
That one on EBay isn't too bad. About what I'd expect to pay for a direct replacement old part. There's another listing for a 1993 CB750 with an identical-looking sensor for $63. You would probably just have to do some swapping with wires in order to make things fit right, but I would just pay the extra at that point for the direct-fit one!

· Registered
57 Posts
When I need a pulse generator, I do an e-bay search for "honda pulse generator" or "Honda pulser coil". Just look for one that looks like yours. I recently got one for my 85 500 shadow listed as from a 1999 Honda Shadow Ace 750. fit and function fine. Just have to cut the wires and splice it in. Many years and models use the same pulser coils, but have different p/ns because of the wiring harnes.

Reactions: Snappy1 and CSRoad

· Registered
4,965 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do u have pics! I'm a little confused

1 - 14 of 14 Posts