Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2000 A.C.E - 750
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I filled up my tank for the first time today. When at the gas station I thought premiun 93 grade means less ethanol. But I looked it up when I got home and it turns out it has more ethanol than lower octane grades.
Should I be concerned about the ethanol damaging my carburetor and other bike parts? If so, should I pump the gas out

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
1,608 Posts
Don't let it sit. You now have a great excuse to go riding. "Gotta get that stuff out of my tank". Wouldn't worry about it if you ride a lot. Run it down then top it off, or dilute it like CSRoad said, then refill with new-better gas.

·
Registered
19,191 Posts
QUOTE > Should I be concerned about the ethanol damaging my carburetor and other bike parts? < UNQUOTE

YES = IF its MORE than (up to)10%
You do NOT wanna put 15 % Nor E85 in your tank ! ! !

We Gotta WATCH those Ethanol info stickers on the pump = KNOW what you`re pumping into your tank...

You`ll be fine this time,
Dennis

<as long as it`s 10% or less>

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
2,619 Posts
It was nice in Florida. Separate pump right beside the Diesel one, stressing the higher octane rating was due to more ethanol. If you’re going to run through the tank within a week or two, I wouldn’t worry too much. If it’s easy for you to drain, and then go half and half with regular ethanol-free 91, I’d take that option.

·
Registered
2000 A.C.E - 750
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE > Should I be concerned about the ethanol damaging my carburetor and other bike parts? < UNQUOTE

YES = IF its MORE than (up to)10%
You do NOT wanna put 15 % Nor E85 in your tank ! ! !

We Gotta WATCH those Ethanol info stickers on the pump = KNOW what you`re pumping into your tank...

You`ll be fine this time,
Dennis

<as long as it`s 10% or less>
I just did some research and luckily it's up to 10%. Looks like most gas where I am (Ontario, Canada) has ethanol added to it. Only a few stations have ethanol free.

·
Registered
2000 A.C.E - 750
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was nice in Florida. Separate pump right beside the Diesel one, stressing the higher octane rating was due to more ethanol. If you’re going to run through the tank within a week or two, I wouldn’t worry too much. If it’s easy for you to drain, and then go half and half with regular ethanol-free 91, I’d take that option.
Wish it was the case at Esso. I looked for a bit and then got lazy when it got to the tiny prints.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,462 Posts
I use the Pure Gas app on my Android phone to find stations.
Download it from Google Play Store and there is probably a version for Apple too, but I don't use their stuff, so don't really know.
IIRC in Ontario Shell and Canadian Tire 91 octane is ethanol free also most marinas have ethanol free gas available.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,815 Posts
Here in Minnesota almost every gas station has premium non ethanol gas available. It's what I use in all my small engines and in the bike when I store it for the winter.

·
Registered
2000 A.C.E - 750
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use the Pure Gas app on my Android phone to find stations.
Download it from Google Play Store and there is probably a version for Apple too, but I don't use their stuff, so don't really know.
IIRC in Ontario Shell and Canadian Tire 91 octane is ethanol free also most marinas have ethanol free gas available.
Thank you! Appreciate the app and station recommendations.

·
Registered
19,191 Posts
I ran a little gas through the lines & carb tonight...
The new headlight is wonderful on Low beam...
It is much better,
Dennis

I might adjust a little => BUT `tis an improvement

·
Registered
19,191 Posts
I`ll likely change gas again today...
Time for an afternoon Ride with no destination, just following the NEW front tire :D

Lets RIDE, HAPPY Mothers Day,
Dennis

How many of y`all Remember Miraculous Mutha???

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
2,619 Posts
The funny thing is that the last time I checked, in Canada, they don’t HAVE to tell you the gasoline/ethanol mixture! The pumps just say, “May contain up to XX percent Ethanol.” Dumbest thing, ever. Traditionally, most stations’ 91 is ethanol-free, but that can change at any time.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
3,816 Posts
I really don’t think the ethanol will hurt the bikes if you ride them enough. Been running it in my bike for seven years and no problems,,,not yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,522 Posts
... The pumps just say, “May contain up to XX percent Ethanol.” Dumbest thing, ever....
The reason for the "may contain" is the amount of ethanol is limited to 10% by the Canadian federal government and there is also regulations at the provincial level. The fines for going over the 10% are extreme and can shut down a single station (when ethanol was added at to the tanker) or an entire chain of stations. In order to avoid that nightmare, distribution terminals set ethanol goals at 7-8% providing for margin of error.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts