Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 VLX 600. The previous owner said it has a custom exhaust on it, which it clearly does. I thought he said it was a Cobra, but looking a their website, it looks nothing like their offerings for my bike?

Do any of y'all recognize this? Just curious.

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Tire

Fuel tank Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Gas Vehicle door

·
Registered
838 Posts
The previous owner said it has a custom exhaust on it, which it clearly does.

but looking a their website, it looks nothing like their offerings for my bike?

The exhaust that you have provided pics for is nothing but the header pipe portion of a complete exhaust system. The exhaust cans are just not mounted. Nothing custom about that.

Obviously, at least to this old curmudgeon, the PO would probably buy porcupine eggs (seed balls from a gum tree) from me at a flea market :).

John

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,624 Posts
A lot of aftermarket mufflers available.

Reactions: theblooms

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I guess my next question is, the front pipe is obviously longer than the rear, by a good bit. If It do fit mufflers, won't that effect the tune? Because the bike runs exceptionally well right now. I don't want to screw anything up.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hey TB,

I have looked and looked and looked on the internet (VLX 600 pic searches and youtube) and I cannot find any aftermarket exhaust offerings for the 600 Shadow where the head-pipe portion of the exhaust system terminates at the length that yours do. There are aftermarket offerings for the 750 and 1100 Shadows that match yours exactly (maybe that's what the previous owner meant by custom?)

As Swifty has already offered up, there are many exhaust cans on Ebay that would fit your header pipe's diameter. I won't say most but a lot of the offerings come with 3 step bushings to adapt the can inlet size to the exit diameter of the head-pipe.

Beyond that it is just a matter of welding a mount strap on the new exhaust can to fit the cans to the mount plate attached to the bike.

Most aftermarket can offerings are fairly wide open and would not cause a tuning adjustment to be necessary.

Anyway,

John

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,433 Posts
To answer your question on two levels for adding mufflers… First, look at the two pipes. In your head, move the top one back to be even with the bottom one. Now straighten out the bends and guesstimate on their lengths. I would say they’d come out even, or very close. So there’s no issue.

Secondly, the system is one pipe per cylinder, so it becomes a moot point. ‘Equal length’ design is only nice when the pipes all feed into a common outlet or two. Even then, it’s only optimal for power delivery. Given equal amounts of restriction, you could run one 2’ pipe and one 4’ pipe without concern. The gases get out of the pipes the same.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,763 Posts
FWIW there is another factor involved with at least some of the VT600, probably not critical unless one is looking for that last % of power or fitting custom pipes, Honda for whatever reason saw fit to use a reduced size exhaust port on the rear head.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,624 Posts
  • Wow
Reactions: theblooms

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
3,013 Posts
Okay, I guess my next question is, the front pipe is obviously longer than the rear, by a good bit. If It do fit mufflers, won't that effect the tune? Because the bike runs exceptionally well right now. I don't want to screw anything up.
Mine is a 1100 but look how the pipes sit. It doesn't affect how it runs.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,318 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts