Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to install a Garmin Zumo 590LM on my 2011 Shadow Aero in the next couple of weeks. The only place I can see to install the cradle on my stock handlebars is dead center. I've eyeballed the possible install, and I have the impression the unit will block my view of the warning lights.

Has anyone installed a Garmin or other GPS on a stock 2011 Shadow Aero? Has anyone else run into this? Am I worrying about nothing?

-Hancock

· Premium Member
7,692 Posts
I have mine in the center of the bars as well. I don't have any lights on the triple tree like you do though. I recall reading somewhere where someone did something to reflect the light beyond the obstruction. I just don't recall exactly where I saw it. Or if you had a windshield you could do something like this.

Attachments

· Registered
5,354 Posts
I don't think it matters that it obstructs a few warning lights, you are only going to need to see the GPS when you get lost..

I've got a cheap GPS in one of those waterproof cases and attached to a cigarette lighter socket. at my age I can't even see the roads unless I stop and put on my reading glasses so I just use it when I get lost.

John.

· Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the suggestions.

Looking at the Garmin manual a little closer, the unit can be installed another way: directly into the clutch clamp or the brake clamp. I might go with the clutch clamp option.

· Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have mine in the center of the bars as well. I don't have any lights on the triple tree like you do though. I recall reading somewhere where someone did something to reflect the light beyond the obstruction. I just don't recall exactly where I saw it. Or if you had a windshield you could do something like this.
Awesome cool!

· Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the Garmin 2595LM mounted with the Ram Mounts, they work good and with the 6" swivel you can move it around

This works great and very functional
Eldorado, I've wondered about the u-bolt and the direct contact (metal-on-metal) with the handlebar chrome. Any need to worry about damage to the chrome at the point of contact? Is this a trivial concern? It's just on my mind in case I ever remove the Garmin.

· Registered
2,685 Posts
If you don't forcefully rotate it... then no.

But GPS on a bike? You guys... lol :p

I cant say I haven't used my phone but only to get to a place ive never been, not cause I was lost. Ive never been lost of a bike ;) I have a Bluetooth adapter that I plug my IEM's into and the phone mounts to the bars so I can listen to music and it gets interrupted by the turn directions. I never have to look at the screen.

· Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If you don't forcefully rotate it... then no.

But GPS on a bike? You guys... lol :p

I cant say I haven't used my phone but only to get to a place ive never been, not cause I was lost. Ive never been lost of a bike ;) I have a Bluetooth adapter that I plug my IEM's into and the phone mounts to the bars so I can listen to music and it gets interrupted by the turn directions. I never have to look at the screen.
Thanks! I've gotten the same reaction from others about GPS on a bike. I don't have the best sense of direction, and any map of the roads where I live looks like a bowl of spaghetti on LSD. Throw in a few million sleep-deprived, angry drivers who are hopped up on caffeine drinks and think they're at the Indy 500. I can foresee that GPS would be useful. I envy the riders who live in cities, towns, and countrysides where the roads make sense and the other motorists understand that other motorists are out there, too.

-Hancock

· Registered
2,685 Posts
I know there are reasons for everything someone uses at any one time. I just feel that too many gadgets takes all the point from riding a bike. Get lost and find your way back the old way. The sun always rises on the east and settles on the west ;)

Hope you find the right mount, but stay away from the one with plastic clamps, they just rotate with little to no effort no matter how tight you make them.

· Registered
5,978 Posts
Eldorado, I've wondered about the u-bolt and the direct contact (metal-on-metal) with the handlebar chrome. Any need to worry about damage to the chrome at the point of contact? Is this a trivial concern? It's just on my mind in case I ever remove the Garmin.
My attachment has been on the same place for several years and don't see any problem on the bar, once you attach it there is no reason to move it unless you desire a better/different location which has been no problem for I have done that.
One reason I like the GPS is I go on PGR Mission's and getting to different addresses in town's, cities, etc., that I am unfamiliar with the GPS is a very handy gadget.

· Registered
2,045 Posts
I have the ram mount with mine. I like the GPS just for the information on where a gas station is or food. I like food. :>)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.