Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am looking at putting 12" ape hangers on my 99 HS Aero, and was wondering is there anyone out there that would know what I would need to get to replace the cables for the new bars? I was told I have to just install the bars and try different length cables, but was hoping to find the proper set the first time, and just install once.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You'd have to check your area, a lot of generic motorcycle shops will make you a set while you wait. I had a negative experience just the other day and simply ordered a set, but you can probably find what you need nearby depending on where you live. Call ahead and talk to the guy beforehand and he'll tell you what you need to measure or bring in.
I've also taken hydraulic hoses to an industrial hydraulic supplier and had hoses made up for a fraction of the cost of OEM too.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey all, I am looking at putting 12" ape hangers on my 99 HS Aero, and was wondering is there anyone out there that would know what I would need to get to replace the cables for the new bars? I was told I have to just install the bars and try different length cables, but was hoping to find the proper set the first time, and just install once.

I did the same thing on my bike and I went +6 on all cables. I could have used stock but I didn't want to reroute behind the triple tree. The brake line was way to tight so I had to play with that but I never changed it. Now I'm going to go braided and I will need a 54in line to get the slack I want. Then I can step up to 16in apes if I want too without having to change cables again.

Plus you have to drill holes for the controls to fit the bars. Or what I did was grind off the nub inside of the controls. That way you can set them how you want. When you snug it all down they won't move. At least mine didn't. If they did you could fix that with a little creative thinking. Check my gallery the bars are on the bike in those pics.

Good luck!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just installed 16in apes and went 10" over stock on everything. Got the throttles and clutch cables from motion pro, brake line from Dennis Kirk. Everything works fine but I probably could have gotten away with +8" or even +6". I think I got a 54" brake line and I have a ton of slack there. Extending the wiring was the most labor intensive part and took the longest time. I may run the wiring through the bars in the future for a cleaner look. The look really doesn't bother me but it comes off a bit sloppy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts