Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I may be a bit paranoid on this one but here it goes. Got to take my 83 vt500 out for the first ride yesterday and heard a few noises that I am unsure of. THis bike sat for a long time before I bought it and got it running. It seems to have some top end noise (thinking valves). and when riding if you let off the throttle seems to get a grinding noise until you slow down or pull the clutch in. THese are just some things that I have never heard before. I thought that maybe since the bike sat for so long that things might work them selfs out but unsure. Bike runs great so not too concerned, but never now if something small now will end up big down the road.

New rider, but maybe a bit paranoid with the work I have had to do to get the bike up and running..

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed the oil yesterday with Valvoline Motorcycle oil 20W50. Theres 28000 miles on the bike. Bike runs great just unsure if these noises are normal.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
It is hard to diagnose a sound without actually hearing it.

If your bike was sitting for a long time, you may find that it'll take a little time to unstick things and get them moving properly. This may require an oil change after only a few hundred miles.
Others may suggest putting an additive in the oil to help clean things up on the inside.

If I were you, I would try to find local help from a friend who rides or a bike shop and get someone else to listen to it. An experienced ear may help you.
Dan

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about riding it by the Honda dealer just to see what they say. Just hoping that its noise from sitting that will go away after some time

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Given the age of the bike, Honda dealers often say, "No comment" or might give you an opinion if they are pretty lax. Doubtful they would take it in for repairs. You are probably better off with a small shop where they are not liability freaks.

If it is valves out of adjustment, you would hear "tickity, tickity". Collapsed hydraulic lifter would probably put out more of a "bap, bap" sound. Donno which your bike has; solid or hydro. If you do a crank additive, avoid high detergent and moly disulfides as they will make your clutch slip. Get a mech's opinion before doing anything rash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.