Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
8,072 Posts
I have a friend who has been in the tire business for 40 years. He told me once that tire manufacturers recommended that new tires over 10 years old should not be installed any vehicle. He will not install a tire that is over 5 years old. That way the tire should be safe for 5 years. I guess that includes tubes also.

· Registered
57 Posts
Here's where I would stand on that: I'm 95% sure it would be fine. BUT... for about $20 I don't think I would risk it. Tires are a pretty important safety component on a motorcycle. Why risk it? Also, if you have enough concern about it to start a thread then it's worth it to buy a new one just for the peace of mind.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,902 Posts
I`d Fill it up and see IF it holds air, and make sure is not dried out...
IF stored properly, it should be OK,
D

· Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fyi, the tube was part of the last bundle that I ordered from an Oem parts website. I always order extra parts to reduce the per item shipping cost. It ain't like a tube degrades like brake fluid. When it was change tire time a year later, the tube couldn't be found so bought a new tube even though was sure I had it somewhere, if sarah can see Russia, notwithstanding. It's like a tool you put down on the garage floor and then can't find it in your zip code. Where was the tube all this time? It was in a lost & found drawer, found, as we speak, in the cellophane wrapper, in the shipping box, where I had left it, I guess. I happened to stumble across the tube while again ordering a whole lot of things from the Oem parts website.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.