Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have a Flip camera and recorded a bunch of my rides. Someone listening to the video asked if I was riding a lawnmower. He was commenting on the gear whine which is (in my opinion) noticeable. I live with it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I get a little whine at certain speeds. Probably the most noticeable is at really slow speeds in 1st gear, like in a parking lot. Sounds more like final drive noise than transmission. Also hear some whine at around 60 mph that goes away by 70 mph.

·
Registered
680 Posts
'03 SS here and yes, it appears to be pretty normal. I've heard some refer to the bike as the "Singer" after the sewing machine. I've also been told that the noise can be altered by what kind of oil one uses, which there seems to be some truth to because, when my bro first bought his '06 Vulcan Classic 800 it didn't whine at all but, after an oil change it did have a very slight whine to it on acceleration.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
The whine is normal, and come from the gears. Mine gets louder when the oil needs to be changed, and just after a change. The oil you use can affect the whine also.

·
Registered
162 Posts
my 09 "whines" also with stock everything. It's been doing that since day 1, with 1 mile on the bike. I figure it's normal and if it ever bothers me, I'll put on aftermarket pipes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
huh. I have no basis for comparison, but I've thought my bike had a higher pitch to it that other bikes i've heard on the road, is that what you're talking about?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Many thanks for your helpful responses. I'm running 10w40 Havoline motorcycle oil in the crankcase, and will try Honda 10w30 to see if it makes a difference in the gear whine level. Will get back to you with the results.
Happy Trails,
Wally B.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I too hear a whine and i was wondering where it was coming from. i have an 08 750 c2. it is a high pitched sound,sounds like it is coming from the front of the bike. it shifts and rides fine was just wanting to know if this is what you are talking about?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
revrat6, Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Today I drained the Havoline 10w40 from the crankcase and refilled it with 10w40 Mobil 1 4T Synthetic Racing
oil. During a test ride there was no notable change in the level of gear whine. Evidently, the gear whine is a characteristic of 07-09 750 Spirits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.