Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor ask me if I could find out any information about exhaust modification (improved sound mods) to the stock exhaust (mufflers) on the later model Wings??
Drill this?
Remove that?
Cut or shorten whatever?
MarkC

P.S I don't think he wants to rattle windows with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Hey Mark,

I am not 100% sure on the tailpipes of the wings, but I believe they are pretty close to the pipes on the Valks...

Here is a little mod that can be done and gives the bike a little deeper growl. (Cutting the Piggies) http://www.valkyrieriders.com/shoptalk/Pipes101.htm

If that doesn't give him the sound he is looking for, then he can drill the baffles out too. If he is looking for a more drastic change, then he can install glass packs. That is supposed to really make the Valks sound good.

The piggies were cut on my Valk when I got it...so I don't know how much it changed the sound. in a way, I would like it to be a little louder...but then again...it sounds real good now.

Hope this helps.

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
MarkC, since you didn't include the year of the Gold Wing...I'm guessing it's a 1500 or 1800. :roll: :lol:

Most of these guys do one of two things. First the "mod" that Spirit_1100 mentions or second, buy new mufflers. Most have been buying the "Torg Masters" mufflers (www.torqmasterpipes.com). Still others have found "mufflers" from JC Whitney, JP Cycles that work for them...sound wise. But the "Torq Masters" are the "choice" of the 1500/1800 crowd. Expensive, but sound good.

Bullzeyet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
MarkC said:
My neighbor ask me if I could find out any information about exhaust modification (improved sound mods) to the stock exhaust (mufflers) on the later model Wings??
Drill this?
Remove that?
Cut or shorten whatever?
MarkC

P.S I don't think he wants to rattle windows with it.
Mark, from what I know about "WINGERS" most do not want sound. :roll: My son belongs to a group of Wing riders and I think they are all stock exhaust. When my son and I ride, he stays way up front like he`s not with me. :oops: Valk riders are another story. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Spirited said:
Valk riders are another story. :roll:
HEY...I resemble that remark!!!

But I don't take offense by it. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Spirited said:
MarkC said:
My neighbor ask me if I could find out any information about exhaust modification (improved sound mods) to the stock exhaust (mufflers) on the later model Wings??
Drill this?
Remove that?
Cut or shorten whatever?
MarkC

P.S I don't think he wants to rattle windows with it.
Mark, from what I know about "WINGERS" most do not want sound. :roll: My son belongs to a group of Wing riders and I think they are all stock exhaust. When my son and I ride, he stays way up front like he`s not with me. :oops: Valk riders are another story. :roll:
I think you mistake "he stays way up front like he's not with me" with you don't keep up with the pace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Lonewolf said:
Spirited said:
MarkC said:
My neighbor ask me if I could find out any information about exhaust modification (improved sound mods) to the stock exhaust (mufflers) on the later model Wings??
Drill this?
Remove that?
Cut or shorten whatever?
MarkC

P.S I don't think he wants to rattle windows with it.
Mark, from what I know about "WINGERS" most do not want sound. :roll: My son belongs to a group of Wing riders and I think they are all stock exhaust. When my son and I ride, he stays way up front like he`s not with me. :oops: Valk riders are another story. :roll:
I think you mistake "he stays way up front like he's not with me" with you don't keep up with the pace.
I can pass your ash any time I want to. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Spirit_1100 said:
Spirited said:
Valk riders are another story. :roll:
HEY...I resemble that remark!!!

But I don't take offense by it. :D
And I'm the quiet Winger, but don't mind the radio :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Mark,

The GW does not take kindly to exhaust mods. While the exhaust looks something like the Valk, it is not. There is only one working outlet and the other two are for show only. Power is lost also when you drill out the outlet.

I have heard the sound of a GW (1800) exhaust that has just been drilled out and IMHO, it just turns the sound to a "tinny" note.

I would suggest to your friend to bite the bullet and get either the cobra pipes or the torqmaster pipes.

Have him spend some time at www.gl1800riders.com for better info.

Good luck to you friend and enjoy the "lux-o-barge" ride. Without a doubt, the GW is the best bike I have ever owned.

Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everbody for the replies and the links, I'll forward the info to my neighbor :)
MarkC
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top