Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Red button on the top right [Inclined Arrow]
Top two options
The old side bar was just there, worked with or without JS enabled. At a glance I'd see stuff I might or might not be interested in.

Yet another great forum screwed up by changing the layout simply because they haven't recently changed the layout.

Edit : ok, it's kinda there down the bottom of each page, tucked away out of sight where people stop reading and move elsewhere - but it's showing "latest posts" rather than latest threads (hmm, no ^I to get italics anymore? :( ) which would be a lot more useful, especially if there was more of them. Off to the side where it is commonly scanned and perhaps up to 20 items would help some of us find our way round without having to resort to massive amounts of mouse clicks!

·
Administrator
807 Posts
The old side bar was just there, worked with or without JS enabled. At a glance I'd see stuff I might or might not be interested in.

Yet another great forum screwed up by changing the layout simply because they haven't recently changed the layout.

Edit : ok, it's kinda there down the bottom of each page, tucked away out of sight where people stop reading and move elsewhere - but it's showing "latest posts" rather than latest threads (hmm, no ^I to get italics anymore? :( ) which would be a lot more useful, especially if there was more of them. Off to the side where it is commonly scanned and perhaps up to 20 items would help some of us find our way round without having to resort to massive amounts of mouse clicks!
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on the upward-pointing arrow and then select “New Posts” from the drop-down menu.

This will open a new page of new posts for you. You can also choose to set special filters or mark all posts read on that same page.

+1 - Bike and location was nice - can it happen again...
The feedback has been passed on to the developers.

In the meantime, you can see member location by hovering over their avatar and I have been asking users to add their bike information in their signatures.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on the upward-pointing arrow and then select “New Posts” from the drop-down menu.
the problem with doing that is it's hidden.

With the old side bar, while I was reading a post I'd see what's there and if the thread seemed to be of interest a click (or middle click since I tend to do multi-tab) would have me in that thread. Where it was a tech thread that I'm involved in I'd be able to see if there was new posts, perhaps a question from someone I was trying to help and I could more quickly visit it.

There's a reason the top-right corner has had the cheapest advertising in news papers - it's because it's unlikely to be seen. Making people hunt for useful stuff that used to be on the page is appalling site design. If your designers worked for me, they'd be unemployed by now.

·
Premium Member
1994 VT1100C
952 Posts
the problem with doing that is it's hidden.

With the old side bar, while I was reading a post I'd see what's there and if the thread seemed to be of interest a click (or middle click since I tend to do multi-tab) would have me in that thread. Where it was a tech thread that I'm involved in I'd be able to see if there was new posts, perhaps a question from someone I was trying to help and I could more quickly visit it.

There's a reason the top-right corner has had the cheapest advertising in news papers - it's because it's unlikely to be seen. Making people hunt for useful stuff that used to be on the page is appalling site design. If your designers worked for me, they'd be unemployed by now.
This new software apparently gets revenue by how many clicks users do.
Things that used to just be there now take 2-3 clicks to get to.

In the meantime, you can see member location by hovering over their avatar and I have been asking users to add their bike information in their signatures.
- Cricket
Would that be the same signature that now has severe restrictions on number of lines, links and images, and you have to either click to see the entire signature or go to your settings and change to always show (see Kiwi, more clicks)?

The new software removes a feature that really is important to tech questions (bike type), and to fix it you want us to use our now limited signature space (forced by the "upgrade) to have it available?
Yeah, that is progress.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This new software apparently gets revenue by how many clicks users do.
Things that used to just be there now take 2-3 clicks to get to.

Would that be the same signature that now has severe restrictions on number of lines, links and images, and you have to either click to see the entire signature or go to your settings and change to always show (see Kiwi, more clicks)?

The new software removes a feature that really is important to tech questions (bike type), and to fix it you want us to use our now limited signature space (forced by the "upgrade) to have it available?
Yeah, that is progress.

And our "Bike of the Month Banners" are still in the wind ! and I'm a lifetime member too. :(

·
Administrator
807 Posts
They are working on the post bit area for your bike information. I hope to hear more on this soon.

They are also working on an easier way to get to new posts.

You can monitor the progress we are making here:

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
OK...I like that the stock market arrow (I'm still not sure how that was chosen :) ) button was replaced with a simple "new" balloon.

But I haven't been able to find the "mark forums read" button ever since.

I know it's gotta be here somewhere. I could use a hint.

Reactions: bd*

·
Administrator
1997 Valkyrie Standard
10,820 Posts
Click the three vertical dots beside your avatar at the top of the page. Click what's new it shows all the posts since your last visit and it gives you the option to mark everything as being read.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Thanks. :cool:

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,765 Posts
Confusion on lost conversations.
Twice I have read a thread and switched away from it to look up some information for it, then when I come back to the thread I can't find it anywhere.
One just today from a fellow from the Netherlands about a broken brake caliper, which is now gone. I did find that one just now, Sorry it is from Ireland !

·
Administrator
1997 Valkyrie Standard
10,820 Posts
Confusion on lost conversations.
Twice I have read a thread and switched away from it to look up some information for it, then when I come back to the thread I can't find it anywhere.
One just today from a fellow from the Netherlands about a broken brake caliper, which is now gone. I did find that one just now, Sorry it is from Ireland !
That is most likely me. I have been several new member's threads to the appropriate forum section. With new members no longer having to post three threads in the new member's section I have been moving tech questions to the Tech Section. I have also moved several new member's tech threads out of this Community Help section.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts