Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone

I changed my plugs 300 miles ago the old plugs showed electrode on the fronts showed a brown stripe around 1/4 of the plug both sides. The rear were white. It was also popping a lot. I drilled the a/f screws and turned the front to 3 1/4, 2 3/4 is stock the rears 3 1/2 again 2 3/4 is stock. The popping was not as loud or as much and the bike runs better. Still does pops frequently during decl. and idle.

I just got back from 100 miler. checked the plugs again. this time the right front and left rear are white the left front right rear have a 1/4 way around the electrode brown stripe.

The bike is all stock.

what do you think is going on with that?

thanks

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
2 other things to check is the exhaust system, make sure all connections are tight and not leaking and second is check your rubber intake boots for leaks. most likely problem is the rear cylinder, the white plugs are an indication that the cylinder is running lean.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If you notice, the right side of the engine is the side that the exhaust exits. This side of the combustion chamber is hotter as a result. This hotter environment is what would cause the plugs on this side to be a little whiter. I wouldn't worry much about it. These engines are set lean from the factory. They also have two plugs per cylinder. This is done for emission reasons. If all four plugs were white, then you might think about re-jetting. From your description of your scoot and plugs, all is well.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used NGK's from the service manual I downloaded. I tightened the boots the exhaust is tight. I'm sure the carb's are going to need to rebuilt, that's for next year. Right now the popping still is there not as loud the bike does not hesitate nearly as much. The choke does not do anything until almost full though. Not sure if thats normal or not. I've own it 6 weeks and 2,200 miles I'm having a great time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.