Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:35 pm Post subject: This is a newbie question on visibilty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been reading posts since I got my bike. Here, and on other sites, I have read posts that say this or something like it: Ride like you are invisible.

If I were to ride like I was invisible, how are the cagers going to see me. I figure they cannot see me because I am riding like I am invisible. In other words invisible is invisible.

What am I not getting? Can someone clarify this to me?

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
943 Posts
it means always assume they cant see you, never believe they should know you are there because of sound or use of their mirrors........

in other words, dont trust anyone and always have an escape route

·
Banned
4 Posts
DOn't BE invisible...but assume you are in the eyes of all others with whom you share the road. Why? Because you ARE!!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
The fact that you are on a motorcycle, a very small vehicle, other users of the road cannot and will not see you. I always assume the other drivers do not see. If you keep in mind that they cannot see you, you will be more apt to react quicker.

You need to constantly be aware of your surroundings, that is 360 degrees around you. Use all your sensory modes: sight, hearing, and yes, sense of smell. Use your mirrors and don't be afraid to look behind or around the side to see other traffic.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Get a shinier cup holder *snicker*

Ok, seriously, ride in view of cars' mirrors. Wear lots of contrasting colors. The human eye is drawn to contrast and movement, especially in dusky lighting. Consider a headlight and brake light modulator. Again, the eye is drawn to apparent contrast and motion of the modulating lights. Leave lots of cushion ahead and around you. Always be looking for that thing that shouldn't happen; the blind lane change, the car backing out of the driveway, the quick stop by a line of cars in front of you. When you find yourself coming to quick stops in traffic, head for the space left between two cars; the car behind you may not have the world's best brakes or best driver. When in doubt - at all - yield to *ALL* other traffic. 4 way stops are especially troublesome for bikers. Yielding to the guy on your right might not be enough. Wave on as many people as it takes to get everyone's attention and to clear the path. Defensive driving classes - even in a car - can only help you (and will probably earn you an insurance discount).

Remember, in a bike vs [anything] scenario, [anything] *always* wins. Don't be in that position. Ever.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Macgyver0856 said:
a better way of looking at it is to ride like everyone is out to kill you..
No. They're not out to kill you. They simply don't see you. Or more precisely, they may see you but don't register you as a viable vehicle. Or perhaps one that's not as close as you truly are. Every traffic situation is reasonably defensible, the occasional tire blowout or gas main explosion excepted. Learning to read traffic is key and essential to safe and enjoyable riding. Traffic has a flow, a beat. It's like a living thing. And its small independent parts can be monitored and understood with time and practice. Believe me, if 3000+ lbs of steel and horsepower was *truly* out to get you, you'd be dead before you reached the end of your street.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
For the most part, car have a myriad of distractions we don’t tend to have on a bike, radio, phones, books, directions etc. Let all just assume they do not see you (hence you are invisible). I am certainly not afraid to lay on my horn as I am about to encounter a cager just in case. Some get pissed at me; most don’t seem to mind but certainly notice me.

How ever you interpret it, just be safe so we don’t end up reading any bad news about you this year.

Cheers

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
visibility

Thanks for your responses.

You have captured the essence of "invisbilty" for me.

It is great to be on a site that has experienced rider from whom we can ask questions and get an experienced answer without feeling dum..

Jim

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
chornbe said:
Get a shinier cup holder *snicker*
OMG!! The 10+page post rears it's ugly head again!!! Too funny.

The rest of your reply was right on.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Smart, funny and charming. Yep... the whole package. :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts