Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have any experience with this jack? I recall either it or its relative were the recommended jack for the 750 ACE. I think it would be stable enough with my HD 1200C for the type of maintenance I am going to do.

http://www.klsupply.com/JACKSANDSTANDS/JACKS/MC455FATJACK.aspx

My only concern is would the lift block the transmission drain plug on my Sportster? the drain plug is located underneath and dead center in line with he derby cover.In the company video it appears it would clear. (Of course, the video is of a big-twin and not a sportster, but I think it would be about the same.)

I am interested in this lift as it is small and compact. Since I don't have a garage and will be using in my shed with one set of double doors open, size is an advantage. If I have to go with something bigger (like the J&S and its smaller footprint) i will, would prefer not to,

Thanks for any advice/thoughts.

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts
I don't know if this will fit your bike but I have something very similar

1100lb Scissor Jack

Which levels and lifts my XCT for wheel inspections and removal.

I also have the J&S which is a much better lift for getting my entire XCT off the ground.. Very-Very Sturdy when it's jacked to higher levels.

The one thing that you might have to worry about if you use these lifts with wheels is that if you are working in a shed with a wooden or plywood floor, they can become either very wobbly, or the casters can depress into the wooden floor making the stand immovable or the casters can punch through the floor completely..

If your shed has a wooden floor, get some 3/4 inch plywood and slide that under your bike and set the lift on it to spread the load of the casters or lift over a larger footprint.

· Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. appreciate the input.

Mark, that jack looks to be the similar as the one I linked to, but about $200 cheaper. I may start with that and see how well it works. Thanks for the caution regarding shed floors. I am fortunate in that my shed consists of an 11'x24' concrete floor, 8'x24' building with a 3'x24' covered porch and 3 sets of double doors. If I open one set of doors I should have plenty of room to work. Well, not plenty, but sufficient.

I would much prefer the J&S to get the bike up higher as I am not quite as nimble as I once was. But, I don't want to over spend until I know I need it. (Yes, I admit it, I used to be "that" guy. All-in and half the stuff sits and gathers dust. Don't ask about the Les Paul and Mesa Boogie. :roll: )

Take care,

Doug

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,902 Posts
I love my drive on lift:D
And suggest this IF you have the room for it...
I did a rear wheel exercise for the first time today... I extracted and changed the sprocket...
I`ve always done this on the ground level...

Think "operating table";)

· Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love my drive on lift:D
And suggest this IF you have the room for it...
I did a rear wheel exercise for the first time today... I extracted and changed the sprocket...
I`ve always done this on the ground level...

Think "operating table";)
If I had the room I would. But thanks for the info.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,902 Posts
Chickenman has an under the frame type lift, it saves his back while he`s detailing his bike...
He loans it out, if you want to try one to see IF it`ll do the job...
But when he needs to do an oil change he`ll come to the drive on lift,... He cannot get to the drainplug on his lift...
On my Bike the oil filter and drainplug are underneath inside the frame tubes...
I guess this like everything else, it has good points and bad points...
I`m not stirring up nothing, merely addressing the facts, for a wise decision...
I wish I had an under the frame type, sometimes too...

· Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chickenman has an under the frame type lift, it saves his back while he`s detailing his bike...
He loans it out, if you want to try one to see IF it`ll do the job...
But when he needs to do an oil change he`ll come to the drive on lift,... He cannot get to the drainplug on his lift...
On my Bike the oil filter and drainplug are underneath inside the frame tubes...
I guess this like everything else, it has good points and bad points...
I`m not stirring up nothing, merely addressing the facts, for a wise decision...
I wish I had an under the frame type, sometimes too...
Thanks.

Changing the oil and trans is a multi sep process on the Sporty. Remove filter/ drain engine oil and trans/primary oil while on side stand. Straighten bike to finish draining trans/primary. Add engine oil while on side stand. Then straighten bike.remove derby cover, fill trans/primary, replace derby cover and put bike back on side stand.

I don't "need" a lift for any of the above. But would like to have one to aid in 1) leveling the bike when required and 2) for routine inspection, maintenance and cleaning.

I would really like to have the J&S type lift, but I also want to do a stage 1 kit and I need saddlebags.

You know, owning a motorcycle is a lot like owning a JEEP (Just Empty Every Pocket). Got one of them, too.! :lol:

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,902 Posts
How true! (MC/jeep statement)
Got my clutch and drive chain installed and found I need tires now...

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts
Thanks guys. appreciate the input.

Mark, that jack looks to be the similar as the one I linked to, but about $200 cheaper. I may start with that and see how well it works. Thanks for the caution regarding shed floors. I am fortunate in that my shed consists of an 11'x24' concrete floor, 8'x24' building with a 3'x24' covered porch and 3 sets of double doors. If I open one set of doors I should have plenty of room to work. Well, not plenty, but sufficient.

I would much prefer the J&S to get the bike up higher as I am not quite as nimble as I once was. But, I don't want to over spend until I know I need it. (Yes, I admit it, I used to be "that" guy. All-in and half the stuff sits and gathers dust. Don't ask about the Les Paul and Mesa Boogie. :roll: )

Take care,

Doug
Nice to be on a concrete pad, that's gonna help.

As far as over-spending on gear. Hate to say it.. But.. I still lean a little that way myself.. I have wasted so much money on things that can only do half the job that I tend to go all in anymore, to a greater degree..

Meh.. It's one of those things that no-matter which way you go, it's almost guaranteed that you'll end up losing out to some extent.. :lol: ...But.. Hoping not in your case :wink:

I do feel bad for that guitar and amp though.. Sitting there all lonely and unplayed.. :-( .. If the wife hadn't mentioned the word "divorce" in conjunction with the subject of me purchasing more guitars and gear, I would likely make an offer for it, myself. :mrgreen:

Have a Great Weekend J'D'

..Happy Friday Everybody!

· Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your marriage is safe Mark, the amp is long gone and I sold the 1988 LP STD to help fund my re-entry into motorcycles. It was a sweet guitar, even if it was a Norlin era LP. Bought it new. That is the one guitar I never thought of selling/trading, until I finally admitted I was never going to learn to play. Never was able to grasp the "matrix" concept of the fretboard. I'm a linear (keyboard) kinda guy, but never pursued that.

But, I digress and take my own three off-topic!

Well, the sun is out, its a balmy 27F and I managed to back my bike off the front porch and out to the street without dumping it! Think I'm psyched up enough to go for a ride. The local club has its annual Frosty Balls ride tomorrow and I want to check out some cold weather gear/riding to see if I think I can manage it tomorrow. I may break out the rain gear as the outside layer, not sure. Gonna try without it, first.

Later....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.