Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any experience with Olympia jackets and suits.
Saw this on another forum and it caught my eye because the price seems great (say, compared to a Roadcrafter suit)

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/phantom/Phantom.htm

Its only $449 compared to over $700 for and Aerostich, plus the olympia is listed as waterproof and with CE armor.

Most of my riding is highway commuting to and from work and I have to wear a suit in my line of work, so I want a 1 piece suit to fit over it and the Aerostich Roadcrafter seems almost ideal. It is made for very quick on/off and has a great reputation for protection. Downside is the price and some reports of leaking when it rains.

This Olympia seems a good alternative, but I'm always leary because I subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" theory when it comes to buying gear.
Any thoughts are welcome

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Have you checked over on the advrider.com forum, they have a lot of good info on the various riding gear.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cbjrj,

That is an amazing site even just for the equipment section.

I thought I remember somebody here talking about Olympia jackets within the last year. I'll try the Search function again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I do not have the version you are talking about, but Carol and I both have the Olympia Air pants and jackets. I will say the Olympia quality and design is top notch. Much better construction that the Joe Rocket or Firstgear (which the Olympia replaced) and on a par with Aerostitch. After using them for a couple of years, would not hesitate to get any Olympia riding gear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
8) Just remember, as with most old adadges, there are exceptions.... Sometimes you get more than you pay for. And in todays world, you aren't always paying for qualtiy, sometimes it is just the name that you are buying.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wil,
you are absolutely right that often their is a "premium" to pay just for a name and some people feel that way about aerostich (I saw that on the ADVrider forum that cjbr referenced) but there is also a great reputation for quality as well.

Black Shadow,
I'm encouraged by your experience with Olympia. Apparantly this 1 piece suit isn't yet available until March 1, but I think I'll go to the local dealer and look at the AST jackets to get an idea of the build.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The only Olympia gear I've had has been gloves, but I've had those for about 3 years now, and they're still in excellent shape.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Howie said:
Wil,
you are absolutely right that often their is a "premium" to pay just for a name and some people feel that way about aerostich (I saw that on the ADVrider forum that cjbr referenced) but there is also a great reputation for quality as well.
Sometimes if you can catch a company on the way up you can get some excellent 'value'. Scorpion Helmets come to mind as a good example, HJC was a good example back in the late 80's early 90's, still a pretty good value.

I do have the Aerostich AD-1 overpants (a Darien pant with extra features) that I managed to get on a clearance sale from Aerostich, my problem is I need a long inseam and that is not always available from the less expensive manufacturers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts