Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. As a new rider, I'm just curious what/if there is any unwritten etiquette rules to be aware of.

For example, coming up to a stoplight behind another rider. Should I hang back, or pull up next to him/her?

What about when coming up on a rider on the highway? I try to stagger the lane position if I'm behind someone. Is that right?

Anything else I should know with regards to fellow riders would be much appreciated

Thanks for your time!

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Yep.

I hang back.
I stagger the position if I'm behind.

Just treat 'em like you'd want to be treated.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
I treat them like I would any car. I give them their box, just like I do when driving my pickup. I pass them if they are poking along just like I would any other time.

Do your own thing on the road, and I do not recommend pulling into tandem formation, just hang way back if following and ride your own spot where you will be visible if you are travelling about the same speed.

The only special etiquette I follow is waving to other riders.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
experienced riders know you are behind them..sometimes I overtake sometimes I hang back..I always raise a hand or at least nod to riders coming towards me from the other side of the road..I stop if a biker has broken down, even if I am in a car..The least I can offer is a lift.

John.

·
Banned
912 Posts
I give everyone two fingers down low, whether they be on a cruiser, standard, sport bike, or even scooter or moped of any brand. As long as it has two or three wheels and a motor, they get the recognition. If they don't give back, they either didn't see me or they are posers!

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Hey guys. As a new rider, I'm just curious what/if there is any unwritten etiquette rules to be aware of.

For example, coming up to a stoplight behind another rider. Should I hang back, or pull up next to him/her?

What about when coming up on a rider on the highway? I try to stagger the lane position if I'm behind someone. Is that right?

Anything else I should know with regards to fellow riders would be much appreciated

Thanks for your time!
:shock: Yeah...shoot first. :-D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. My commute into work is 65 miles one-way, and this morning, for about 30 miles, I was behind another rider. Which made me think about this question.

I always try to give everyone their space. Just didn't want anyone to think I was being rude. I will always give the two finger wave if I see them and I can do so safely. If I cant take my hand off, I'll give them a nod.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I hang back. I allso stagger the position if I'm behind.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It is the law in Florida that a motorcycle 'owns' the road the length of his bike and the width of the lane. A motocycle can choose to divide that lane into three lanes and choose to ride in either left, right or center. I weave in that lane and avoid sewers, bumps, trash etc. I do not like it a bit when a motorcycle will pass me in MY lane. I do not like a motorcycle to pull up next to me at a stop light unless they want to race. They dont...they just want to talk.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
It is the law that a motorcycle 'owns' the road the length of his bike and the width of the lane. A motocycle can choose to divide that lane into three lanes and choose to ride in either left, right or center. I weave in that lane and avoid sewers, bumps, trash etc. I do not like it a bit when a motorcycle will pass me in MY lane. I do not like a motorcycle to pull up next to me at a stop light unless they want to race. They dont...they just want to talk.
That's not exactly accurate.

In my state, and many others it's legal to split a lane with another bike and even ride two abreast.

That being said, I only know 3 riders who I'd ride two abreast with.

~Mark

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
If I'm at a light, I don't approach another bike and I don't like having it done to me. As a matter of fact, when I stop for a light, I position my bike far enough away from the vehicle in front of me and in a slight diagonal position for 2 reasons, 1, so I have an escape route should the driver coming up behind me doesn't stop, and 2, so another rider can't pull along side of me. The only time I don't do either of those two things is if I am riding w/ friends.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This was an interesting read for me...had a similar situation the other evening. Was at a stop sign and turning left onto a main road... another rider, on a ninja pulled up almost next me, but still a little behind and was also waiting to turn left. As soon as I started moving, so did he...he rode next to me for about 3/4 miles then I guess the speed limit wasn't fast enough for him and he downshifted and shot off....only to stop a few hundred feet afterwards to make a right turn. As a fairly new rider, having him pull up like that at the stop sign was a bit nerve wracking...

Thanks for the etiquette lesson!
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
This was an interesting read for me...had a similar situation the other evening. Was at a stop sign and turning left onto a main road... another rider, on a ninja pulled up almost next me, but still a little behind and was also waiting to turn left. As soon as I started moving, so did he...he rode next to me for about 3/4 miles then I guess the speed limit wasn't fast enough for him and he downshifted and shot off....only to stop a few hundred feet afterwards to make a right turn. As a fairly new rider, having him pull up like that at the stop sign was a bit nerve wracking...

Gary
Gary,

He was out of line. Sportbike riders, especially new sportbike riders, often do that. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

This is more than etiquette; it's safety.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts

Gary
And, it never hurts to back off the throttle and let them go by, even wave them by to get them away from you.

If I see a rider coming up from behind me on a two lane road, especially with oncoming traffic, and I don't have a car directly in front of me, I'll sometimes move to the right side of the lane and wave them on by. Better than having him play "ride my fender" for miles.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
Gary,

He was out of line. Sportbike riders, especially new sportbike riders, often do that. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

This is more than etiquette; it's safety.
Really? The only two times this happened to me they were both on cruisers. Both were older riders. Please don't start with that type/make/model stereotyping stuff. Let the new riders form their own opinions and prejudices.

:shock::-D

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
+1 on Big B
+1 on Lakto too.

Been riding 25 years and I don't like anyone passing me in my lane. 2 weeks ago a kid,yes a KID on a sport bike went by me in MY lane (even though in that section of highway there are 4 lanes going south) like I was parked. Never saw him coming and I consider myself a pretty safe rider, always scanning. We both got off the same exit, long exit. he saw me and slowed way way way down. I'm not about to ride next to ANYONE I don't know so we ended up doing maybe 20 down a 1/2 mile exit ramp. Luckily no one else exited. Come to the stop sign and punk turns around and says "That was cool man". Unfortunately I had to follow this numb nut a few more miles on the surface streets, the whole time he spent more time checking to see if anyone was checking him out rather than riding the damn bike. EVERY stop sign he stared at me in his mirror and slow way way down. Wait for me to pull up next to him, but I never did. I figured hanging back, WAY back at a stop sign he'd get the hint. Nope... he sat there until I was behind him. Check himself out in his mirror (even forgot to check the intersection once) and then drags his imaginary friend (I guess) for the next 1/4 mile.

Sadly I ended up meeting him at the gas station and I told him he's going to kill himself and that I'd appreciate it if he doesn't take me out when he does it. He didn't get it so I explained to him just because you bike fits between it, doesn't mean it's ok to do it. What if I was changing lanes or going around a pothole or something on the highway when he passed me. His answer... I woulda plowed you man. It's guys like him that make the cars hate guys like me.

You (don't) want to talk about stereotyping? All cars who don't ride hate us. Why? I think I just gave a good example.

I don't ride with a group if I come up on them. First guy usually keeps an eye on last guy to know where his pack is. I'm not part of it so I make sure everyone around knows it.

It's going to happen, someone is going to pull up next to you at a stop sign or red light, even if you take the center. Someone's going to do it to "be cool" or just pay a quick head nod respect or "nice bike". It's the guy that pulls up next to you and stares straight ahead you have to watch for. When that happens I just let them go.

And yeah... I always wave. I don't get the no wave back sometimes, but I don't care. Welcome to "the club" of riding.... you're gonna love it!!!!

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
If I'm at a light, I don't approach another bike and I don't like having it done to me. As a matter of fact, when I stop for a light, I position my bike far enough away from the vehicle in front of me and in a slight diagonal position for 2 reasons, 1, so I have an escape route should the driver coming up behind me doesn't stop, and 2, so another rider can't pull along side of me. The only time I don't do either of those two things is if I am riding w/ friends.

im the same way on this matter

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
+1 on Big B
+1 on Lakto too.

Been riding 25 years and I don't like anyone passing me in my lane. 2 weeks ago a kid,yes a KID on a sport bike went by me in MY lane (even though in that section of highway there are 4 lanes going south) like I was parked. Never saw him coming and I consider myself a pretty safe rider, always scanning. We both got off the same exit, long exit. he saw me and slowed way way way down. I'm not about to ride next to ANYONE I don't know so we ended up doing maybe 20 down a 1/2 mile exit ramp. Luckily no one else exited. Come to the stop sign and punk turns around and says "That was cool man". Unfortunately I had to follow this numb nut a few more miles on the surface streets, the whole time he spent more time checking to see if anyone was checking him out rather than riding the damn bike. EVERY stop sign he stared at me in his mirror and slow way way down. Wait for me to pull up next to him, but I never did. I figured hanging back, WAY back at a stop sign he'd get the hint. Nope... he sat there until I was behind him. Check himself out in his mirror (even forgot to check the intersection once) and then drags his imaginary friend (I guess) for the next 1/4 mile.

Sadly I ended up meeting him at the gas station and I told him he's going to kill himself and that I'd appreciate it if he doesn't take me out when he does it. He didn't get it so I explained to him just because you bike fits between it, doesn't mean it's ok to do it. What if I was changing lanes or going around a pothole or something on the highway when he passed me. His answer... I woulda plowed you man. It's guys like him that make the cars hate guys like me.

You (don't) want to talk about stereotyping? All cars who don't ride hate us. Why? I think I just gave a good example.

I don't ride with a group if I come up on them. First guy usually keeps an eye on last guy to know where his pack is. I'm not part of it so I make sure everyone around knows it.

It's going to happen, someone is going to pull up next to you at a stop sign or red light, even if you take the center. Someone's going to do it to "be cool" or just pay a quick head nod respect or "nice bike". It's the guy that pulls up next to you and stares straight ahead you have to watch for. When that happens I just let them go.

And yeah... I always wave. I don't get the no wave back sometimes, but I don't care. Welcome to "the club" of riding.... you're gonna love it!!!!
Good post! Thanks for saying well what I feel!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.