Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much difference would it make in the performance of my bike if I changed the sprocket? (02 VLX)

If it is worth it how many teeth should I go with?

Do I need to change both the front and the back?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Which way do you want to go? Lower the number of teeth (Better on Highway) or go up in the number of teeth (better around town).

No, You do not have to change the front sprocket usually, unless , are you replacing your chain to? If you are, then Yes replace both sprockets with the chain, Front sprockets don't cost that much anyways, so It wouldn't hurt to replace it if you wanted to.

I changed my sprocket over the winter, I went from a 16 (front) 41 (rear) to a 17 (front) and a 42 (rear) and the bike performs much better (my other ones were very very worn anyways), barely raised to rpms to, But if you go to a 39 or lower rear sprocket it'll be much nicer on the highways.

Keep in mind if you go below 39 you'll have to shorten your chain, just a couple links. I have JT Sprockets (got mine at bikebandit.com) great price and they are steel sprockets.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I mostly a around the town rider so I dont want to jepordize the around the town performance.

What i do want to do is bring the RPM's down a little bit while im going between 55 and 60.

Any suggestions on what size I should go with for the VLX?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not sure about the VLX but I went 2 teeth down on my rear sprocket. It made 80 bearable. 55-60 is not a big deal at all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went from a 42 to a 39 tooth on my '03 Spirit 750 and it made a huge difference at 70 mph. It did change the low end a bit as well, but not enough to reconcider. Some have gone to a 37 or 38 but I think that would have been to low.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I need a little help with this too. I just ordered a 41 for an 03 VLX (stock is a 44) and I don't know if I will have to replace the chain.

Does anyone have the answer to this question?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Equis454 said:
I need a little help with this too. I just ordered a 41 for an 03 VLX (stock is a 44) and I don't know if I will have to replace the chain.

Does anyone have the answer to this question?
You should not have to. You may have to take out a link in the chain as the adjuster may not be able to take up all the extra slack that the smaller sprocket will produce.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.