Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know.....
This is a Honda forum, but I know some of you have dabbled in other waters, so maybe you can help me.

I've read some reviews of the Yamaha V-Max, and everything sounds pretty good, until you get to the part about squirrely front suspension in turns and brake fade.

Not really the things you want on a bike with gobs of power.

However, one reviewer noted he had just finished reviewing a stable of true crotchrockets and probably was pushing the V-Max to the max.

So, does the average rider that is interested in keeping their license and their head really notice the 'subpar' forks and brakes on the V-Max?

Or is that only something the very aggressive rider notices as they wring out every last bit of manueverability from the bike?

And if there is an issue, can anything be done in the way of aftermarket parts like progressive springs or fork clamps or anything to remedy this attribute?

Seems like a very sweet bike, but I don't think I want something with an insurmountable handicap hard-engineered into it.

Thanks for any opinions!
:)
-Kris

G

·
0 Posts
Look at it this way. Does the average rider who wants to keep their license and usually rides sedately anyway really notice the full potential of say a Honda Hurricane, or a GSXR? No, they never push the enevlope enough. The Max is a power cruiser, it can be likened to the muscle cars of the bygone era which had monster motors gobs of torque and frankly sub par suspensions and brakes, In the hands of the average driver those cars were pushed hard in straight lines, but not too many folks tried using them as Trans Am contenders. Same with Mr. Max. great fun pouring on the speed, but most people shy away from carving canyons with them.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Kframe, I remember not so long ago (1985) I had the chance to ride a Mad Max for a few days. At the time my main ride was a brand new 84' 700 Virago. Comparison of the two were night and day.
I remember smoking that rear tire at will and flying down the highway way over the 55 mph by a bunch. That V Max was tough. As for going thru the "S's" it did seem to waller around some, but hell so did that Virago. Point the Max in a straight line and hold on.
I do remember when my friend trashed the tranny though, that was expensive. He traded in on a Venture later on. Apparently second gear was weak, I bet Hama has got all that worked out.
good luck

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Kframe,

Let's just say the "girlie men" won't notice these turning and braking things!!!!! :p :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Having owned a 1985, V-65 (1100cc), V-4 Sabre I can say that if one has "graduated" to this size machine.......YES. If one loses concentration and "thinks" the throttle twist is "not much" OR this corner is NOT all that tight........the Sabre OR the V-Max can get you into a very bad situation faster than you can blink!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :shock: :shock:

Since the V-65's time has passed (well sort of...not much in perfomance mods any more)) and the Yammie people still making the "monster"(V-Max) and a new updated version coming, I hope those that get this machine are well versed in high-speed handling and knowing when NOT to sweep thru a corner! :roll:

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies thus far!
I appreciate it!

I don't even know if I'll be able to get a new bike anytime very soon, but Mr. Max is very tempting, to say the least.

Granted, it would be a grand departure from my '84 700cc bike, but, I'm looking for something beefier so what-the-hey.

The thing I like about the Max is that A, it's new, so I could know the maintenance history from mile # zero on up;
B, because it's new it has stuff available for it aftermarket unlike my 700;
C, it still has that classic look that some find dated, but I think looks tough, down to business and a lot of fun;
and D, it's new. I've never had a brand new vehicle of any kind, except a pedal bike, and the thought of having a brand spanking new ride makes me kinda giggly.

Like I said, still don't know if I can swing this, but the Max is moving up the short list very quickly!
:D
-Kris

·
Registered
947 Posts
kframe, I bought a new VMax this summer, as a first street bike, believe it or not. I couldn't be happier. I will say, though, here in the Dallas suburbs, there aren't many (make that zero) twisties to ride, so my trips are generally stoplight to stoplight. Perfect for Mr. Max. The bike is flat out a blast to ride, and there are loads of aftermarket goodies for it.

Whoever mentioned above that the Max is like an older hotrod is spot on, but for the riding I do, the bike is perfect. Fits me well, and I just couldn't find a cruiser that fit my personality or riding style quite like the VMax does, and I had no desire for a sportbike. Maybe a ST will catch my eye someday, but for now I'm good.

Let us know if you take the plunge.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jay, thanks!

Say, you said it fits you, both in riding style but I assume physically as well?
How tall are you?

I'm about 6 to 6-one, and some say I'm too tall for my 700 Shadow, but I don't mind.

Thanks again!
-K

·
Registered
947 Posts
k, I'm 5'10 and am able to put both feet on the ground with the stock seat. If I were any shorter, I don't think I could.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Kris,
Yes, the front suspension can be modified for the better. The VMax riders I've talked to make that one of their first fixes. Plus they all love those bikes. If you want to get more info on them, the mechanic I use in South St. Paul, has had one for years. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to you about them. Let me know & I'll get you his information.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Marc, thanks!

If I do get a new bike this year, it won't be for another couple months at the soonest.
Dang bills, y'know.

Then I gotta figure out where to buy it and how to get the best price.
I hate to admit it, but I suck at negotiating car prices, so I figure I'll be worse at buying a bike.
Any tips?

If I make the plunge, I will certainly be interested in improving the ride, so I'll keep you/your buddy in mind.

Hey, it's +20°F currently, that's almost riding weather!
Looking forward to this spring!

-Kris

·
Registered
156 Posts
Kframe said:
Marc, thanks!

If I do get a new bike this year, it won't be for another couple months at the soonest.
Dang bills, y'know.

Then I gotta figure out where to buy it and how to get the best price.
I hate to admit it, but I suck at negotiating car prices, so I figure I'll be worse at buying a bike.
Any tips?

If I make the plunge, I will certainly be interested in improving the ride, so I'll keep you/your buddy in mind.

Hey, it's +20°F currently, that's almost riding weather!
Looking forward to this spring!

-Kris
He might be able to help you out locating one....I'll be seeing him this week sometime & I'll ask. Let you know what I find out.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Kframe said:
I know, I know.....
This is a Honda forum, but I know some of you have dabbled in other waters, so maybe you can help me.

I've read some reviews of the Yamaha V-Max, and everything sounds pretty good, until you get to the part about squirrely front suspension in turns and brake fade.

Not really the things you want on a bike with gobs of power.

However, one reviewer noted he had just finished reviewing a stable of true crotchrockets and probably was pushing the V-Max to the max.

So, does the average rider that is interested in keeping their license and their head really notice the 'subpar' forks and brakes on the V-Max?

Or is that only something the very aggressive rider notices as they wring out every last bit of manueverability from the bike?

And if there is an issue, can anything be done in the way of aftermarket parts like progressive springs or fork clamps or anything to remedy this attribute?

Seems like a very sweet bike, but I don't think I want something with an insurmountable handicap hard-engineered into it.

Thanks for any opinions!
:)
-Kris
One of the best straight line performers ever built. There are guys who swear by them. The handling is sub par by today's standards. They'll be beaten by modern big-bore bikes in drag races, but still a bike that maintains its charm for some.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
buyitbuyitbuyitbuyit.

Buy an aftermarket VW steering damper... cheap.

Buy some braided steel lines, and upgrade your brake pads.

Done.

Nothing on the road matches the sheer balls out look of a V-Max.

(and if you paint 'em flat black, they look mean as hell :lol: )

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
chornbe said:
...The handling is sub par by today's standards...
That's what I was curious about.
If the handling considered bad/dangerous period, or just not up to the cutting edge of what is available today on sporty bikes.

I'm not gonna try to drag race, on the track or street, and I'm years of experience away from trying to keep up with Grampa in the twisties on his FJR.....
I just want a new bike, one with plenty of power, killer styling and a good reputation among riders.
I think the V-Max might fit that bill for me.

Plus, getting back to "todays standards", I'm accustomed to riding a bike made in 1984, so "state of the art" is not in my vocabulary.

I would assume that a new V-Max would not handle poorer than my '84 Shadow 700.
(Not to say I think there is anything wrong with my Shadow, just that it is my only frame of reference.)

Again, thanks for all the tips and encouragement everyone!
We'll see if I can swing it this year or not.

Marc, thanks, I'll look forward to hearing what you find out!

-K

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Kframe,

Yammy is supposed to be bringing out a "new" V-Max this year or next. They have "improved" some things in the suspension/tires/overall length. BUT still, the main factor IS the operator! Twisting the throttle just a little has so much HP on tap. At times the operator "thinks" he's got the bike under control. Let me tell you, this power comes on "hard" and the bike IS quick to react and IF your sitting there "thinking" about all this...it's waaaaay too late.....it'll get away from ya!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Yes, I spent a lot of time on "BIG" HP bikes....no experience from other bikes even comes close to the "eye-ball flattin', arm-strechin', butt moving' power of this one "street-legal" factory stock bike!!!! Before you know it......there's the corner in the road that YOU thought was farther away!!!!! NOW you gotta get this "sucker" thru the corner or wind up in the weeds. :roll: It takes less time than reading this.

Just want you to be very "respectful and careful" on this "Butt-Kicker". :wink:

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nachoman said:
Keep waiting! Honda will be coming out with a 1100cc V4 Magna replacement!!!

*Shakes head and wakes up from dream*
I wish!

bullzeyet said:
Kframe,

Yammy is supposed to be bringing out a "new" V-Max this year or next.
They've been saying that for the past 4-5 years.

Even if they do come out with a Max II, it'll probably be jacked up out of my price range.

bullzeyet said:
... BUT still, the main factor IS the operator! Twisting the throttle just a little has so much HP on tap. At times the operator "thinks" he's got the bike under control. Let me tell you, this power comes on "hard" and the bike IS quick to react and IF your sitting there "thinking" about all this...it's waaaaay too late.....it'll get away from ya!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Yes, I spent a lot of time on "BIG" HP bikes....no experience from other bikes even comes close to the "eye-ball flattin', arm-strechin', butt moving' power of this one "street-legal" factory stock bike!!!! Before you know it......there's the corner in the road that YOU thought was farther away!!!!! NOW you gotta get this "sucker" thru the corner or wind up in the weeds. :roll: It takes less time than reading this.

Just want you to be very "respectful and careful" on this "Butt-Kicker". :wink:

Bullzeyet
Good advice, which I take seriously.
I plan on being around quite a while yet, and ya gotta respect the hazards because any bike, even a 50cc moped, can get you killed in a hurry.

Bikes are toys, but must be treated like power tools.

Thanks again!
-K

1 - 20 of 20 Posts