Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I have some work planned for my 03 Honda Shadow Ace VT750, but I'm not sure where to start. As mentioned in my 3rd introduction thread I'm having an issue with my front wheel where, particularly at lower speeds, my front wheel feels like its bouncing. I know that this could be one of several things. The wheel may not be properly balanced, the rim could be slightly bent, the tire or inner tube may be warped or bulging. Beyond this both rims have rust that has eaten past the chrome.

I have tried at length to find affordable replacement wheels, thinking I could get a more custom look, and I wanted to go tubeless, but none seem to be available for this bike.

So I've been looking into options to make the stock wheels into what I want them to be. But to have them powder coated, trued, and converted to tubeless is going to cost far more than my budget will allow. Around $600 per wheel before tires and balancing...

So I've formulated a plan and I'd like your opinions on it.

First I'm going to remove the wheels, tubes, and tires from the bike and take them to a Local shop that will test them to see if they need straightening. They can do the work if needed. Then I'm going to have them sandblasted inside and out to prepare them for paint. I'll paint the rims and hubs in the same manner I painted the lower forks. Its spray paint, true, but if it holds up on my guns it will be fine here. Then, after the paint has had a couple of weeks to cure, I'll send them to Woody's to have them respoked and converted to tubeless. Then, once I have them back, new tires, new bearings, and I'll balance them myself.

I'm also considering rhino lining the rims to make them match the tank...

So my questions are... does this sound like a solid plan? Do I need to paint the inside of the rims? Is there anything I am not considering? How should one go about picking new tires?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another option I was considering is trying to find an older shadow wheels, like those on the older 80s shadows or on the early to mid 90s vt1100s, and just polishing the hell out of them and replacing my spokes rims. Does anyone know if this will work?

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
I am pretty sure the front rims are the same, but not sure about rotor location.

For the rear, not sure if the drum brakes are the same (a part search for the shoes would show if they are the same or not), and then the final drive.
All 1100 are shaft drive, not sure what your 750 is, and am not sure if the shaft hub is the same between the shaft drive 1100 vs 750.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I am currently working on a 1987 Honda Rebel 450 which has spoke rims with tubeless tires. These are cast rims and the spokes go through a raised strip in the center. I think it is a great design. I'm not sure if they made this design for any other year bike or what else they might fit. Also on the wheel hop, could this be fixed by remounting the tire? I have had tires which didn't seat quite correctly and would seat off the bead on one side causing it to hop. Also, if the tire is older, is it possible if the tire has a flat spot similar to when a trailer tire flattens out when it sat too long?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If you want tubeless, 750 Magna mag wheels can be swapped onto a 750 ACE.
IIRC you end up mix and matching and making spacers for it to work and maybe swapping the front brake rotor.
There was a complete detailed run through of this project complete with pictures online at one point, but I think it was at the now defunct 750ACE.com, but perhaps it was posted somewhere else. Maybe here?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Meatball
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing