Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not know what the maintance was on my bike as the PO didn't supply any records. I do know that as of today I have a popping on decel and have adjusted my air/fuel screw and it only does it on decel where it used to do it at idle also. So I am going to try seafoam tomarrow, 1 bottle then ill form my opinion. I also drained and replaced the fluid in my rear end. I went with Sae 80W90. I ride hard so I figured I'd put in 80w90 insted of 80w75. I also drained the oil....****!!!!!!!!!! it looked like black water...so it could not of been lubricating as well as I thought it was. I was told by the yamaha dealership that unless his customers ask for yama lube he uses reg. 10W40. Should I do the same with my Honda? Also if so should I run synthetic or no? I have to gather material tomarrow and see where it takes me. I am going with the K&N oil filter as it is the same price as the fram or hiflo. I know KN and I love their products. Also I am going to replace the fan switch. Should I flush the system and replace the antifreeze or just pull the switch and dran the radiator? Next order of buisness. Does anyone know what I could do to repair a small (dime size) hole in my seat? I do not want to re upholster just yet as I have a custom paint job comming this winter. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Your bike looks to be around the same size year as mine, I run Rotella T6 5-40 in mine,

if your working on the cooling system, might as well give it a good flush, who knows when it was flushed last.

Might want to check with an auto detailer about the hole in the seat, I saw some stuff once, it was like a paste that you put in the hole then cover it with paper and iron it, not sure what its called but a detailer would probably have it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply I will see what I can do with the hole. I was also told that rotella was good but I was also thinking of running amsoil. dunno yet. synthetic or no?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Use whatever oil your comfortable with. I used Rotela T for quite some time but have changed to Mobil 10-40. I am finding the clutch smoother with the Mobil. As long as you use something suitable for your bike it should be happy. My reasoning for changing to synthetic oil has to do with the extreme heat here in Phoenix in summer and synthetics tolerance of heat.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Switching to a synthetic oil in an air cooled engine makes a lot of sense for many reasons: Extended drain intervals, improved friction reduction resulting in lower engine temperatures, lower burn-off volatility, improved polymer shear resistance, etc.

In your liquid-cooled Shadow, the only one in this list that you take much benefit from is the extended drain interval. (Due to the polymer shear resistance.) Your bike had as superior cooling system, so the volatility and engine temperature management isn't an issue for you. You do get to drain your oil every 7,000 miles instead of every 3,000 like you do with standard oil. If you ride more than 3,000 miles a year, I'd go synthetic, since the extra cost for oil is greatly offset by having to do it only half as often.

That being said, your bike old, like mine. A lot of paraffin and other oil-caused varnishes have built up in the engine over that time. Syntheic oil has far superior detergents in it that will clean that gunk out. The bad news is that sometimes it's that gunk that's holding the seals together. Some folks get leaks when they put switch to synthetic oil on older engines, and those leaks don't go away if they switch back to standard oil. I had to replace a seal in my bike a few months after switching. It was an easy seal to replace, and probably would have failed in time anyway, so I'm very glad I switched. I run Amsoil "motorcycle" 10W-40. However, I run Rotella T6 5W-40 in my Honda trail bikes, tractor, lawn mower and everything else. I prefer the Amsoil in my Shadow because I change the oil infrequently. Rotella is a Base III synthetic, which is very good, but not a true synthetic in the purest interpretation of the word. It's 95% or so as good a true synthetic, which is pretty darn good. Amsoil is a Base IV synthetic, so it's true ester synthetic, which gives it better shear resistance in applications where the engine oil is subjected the the gnashing and churning of gears (like how your transmission and engine share the same oil.) For that reason, I use Amsoil in my Shadow, and Rotella T6 in everything else. In my Honda trail bikes, there is no oil filter, so the oil gets changed every 1,000 miles. Rotella T6 is more than adequate for that and much, much cheaper.

Hope this helps!

--Justin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.