Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the ENTIRE verbatim text of a Sacramento Craigslist motorcycle ad today:
1993 very nice need to selll 900 - $900

Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2007-02-22, 7:50PM PST

needs plastics and new clutch cover

###call any time### need to sell make this deal i will throw in two go peds also # 916-289-0880
I'd like to see his email today. :lol:

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wonder if he'll take $750.
Make him an offer. It's like one of those mystery packages you can buy and open with great anticipation to see what you've got. This ad is so wonderfully uninformative and ambiguous that it's hard to even tell if the first 900 refers to cc's or the price.

All we know is that it had some plastic somewhere.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Junk

If it comes with a "needs list" it is most probably junk. Why is a 14 year-old MC needing repairs attractive at $900? I realize this doesn't really apply, but the standard rule for purchasing vintage Honda's in good running and cosmetic order, good tires, no needs is $1.00/cc. Pristine (perfect) original or meticulously restored examples can go $6-8. A gorgeous, immaculately restored '70 CB 750 went for $5200 in Vegas a few weeks ago. We thought that price was too high. Since this bike is much less desirable and has needs, it doesn't even meet the first criteria. ... maybe $0.25/cc, or less, would be a better value. I would run from this one unless you want to spend too much $$$ on a bike with unknown issues and little residual value.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,223 Posts
Reminds me of the ad for one of the best cars I ever bought; it said "new clutch needs transmission". When I got there, all it needed was replacing the 3 missing bolts that held the transfer case to the transmission; my grandfather (who was with me because I couldn't operate a manual transmission in those days) had some old bolts from a washing machine in his trunk. I paid $125 for the car and the seller's jaw dropped when my grandfather drove it away 10 minutes later. Another $375 in repairs over the next 2 years/40,000 miles and I sold the car for $350. And I loved it every day that I owned it.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
adlowe said:
...my grandfather (who was with me because I couldn't operate a manual transmission in those days) had some old bolts from a washing machine in his trunk.
What a wonderful word-picture of your grandfather. I'll bet his trunk had all manner of stuff in it, and he was an all-around handy type of guy. Such people are a true joy to observe in action.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
adlowe said:
Reminds me of the ad for one of the best cars I ever bought; it said "new clutch needs transmission". When I got there, all it needed was replacing the 3 missing bolts that held the transfer case to the transmission;.
Reminds me of a 1965 Dodge Polara my dad and i purcahsed
back in the early 70's.

add read "'65 Dodge Polara for sale wont start make offer"

it was cold out that day and it had an automatic choke that was wide open.
and would not close.
we gave the owner $25 for the car, freed up the choke and drove it home.

He said it hadnt been running for months.

i drove that car for 2 years after that and my X drove it to Vegas and kept it for another 2 years.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Re: Junk

deeppurple52 said:
. I would run from this one unless you want to spend too much $$$ on a bike with unknown issues and little residual value.
i think there are more reasons to run from this one than those issues!

we dont even know what it is! :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Want a deal. My son has a 06' Suzuki Boulavard S-40 for sale. It has 1200 miles on it and has had the valves just checked. He needs $3000. for it. Its a great bike. I rode it two weeks ago. Drop me a line if your interested. Great beginner bike or for a lady.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think there are more reasons to run from this one than those issues!
we dont even know what it is!
Thank you, droy. I'm not sure that many readers here saw the same humor in that ad that I did. Maybe I should have explained what Craigslist is.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,223 Posts
What a wonderful word-picture of your grandfather. I'll bet his trunk had all manner of stuff in it, and he was an all-around handy type of guy. Such people are a true joy to observe in action.
Yeah, a truly unique guy -- and you've got it right about his trunk, then and now. (He'll be 95 this summer.)

Back in the "old days", I used to like going with him to take loads of trash to the town dump. After we'd emptied the trailer, it was time to scavenge motors from old washing machines and such. (That's how I know where those bolts came from -- I had been the one to remove them 5 or so years earlier!) We often came home with more than we had left with.

·
Registered
225 Posts
adlowe said:
After we'd emptied the trailer, it was time to scavenge motors from old washing machines and such. (That's how I know where those bolts came from -- I had been the one to remove them 5 or so years earlier!) We often came home with more than we had left with.
people still do that, only they aren't as cool as our grandfathers were....

now they're just meth-heads looking for copper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts