Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've seen more than a few times on this board (specifically the sportster v VLX comparo) people complain that honda doesn't use a self-cancelling signal switch.

what is the deal with that?

I understand the annoyance of forgetting to turn your indicators off (especially in the daylight where you can't see the light as easily), but is something that small really going to make a severe impact on your purchasing decision?

personally, I hate the switch on my ACE. i don't like the fact that i have to find a spot (with gloves on) that is halfway right in order to shut off the left lights....or risk throwing the right lights if i go too far.

maybe i don't understand how self-cancells work on bikes. is there a mercury switch in it that knows when you've stopped leaning thru the corner? does it work like a car one does (by mechanically guaging the rotation of the triple trees), and if so.....is it a much finer guage?

i just can't wrap my mind around the concept....."i would have bought that $12000 bike, but the signals didn't self cancel, so i bought this $13000 bike instead."

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
psychoboy said:
i've seen more than a few times on this board (specifically the sportster v VLX comparo) people complain that honda doesn't use a self-cancelling signal switch.

what is the deal with that?
The systems [honda typically employed] are fragile over time. And really, if they can't train themselves to turn the stupid thing off, they should get off the bike and go find a cheap car.

And comparing a VLX to a Sportster is just plain silly. Different bikes completely, in intent and in implementation.

i just can't wrap my mind around the concept....."i would have bought that $12000 bike, but the signals didn't self cancel, so i bought this $13000 bike instead."
It's just a way of justifying. I like my gadgets and conveniences, but really, the same people who bitch about it also think that automatic clutches (like on the FJR-AE) or CVT (like on most scooters) are non-motorcycle traits and take something away from the "motorcycle experience". :roll:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I can tell you how Yamaha does it. When the wheels are rolling the turn signals auto cancel in 7 seconds or 200 yards which ever come first. They are electronically controled by an on-board chip.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Paulie said:
I can tell you how Yamaha does it. When the wheels are rolling the turn signals auto cancel in 7 seconds or 200 yards which ever come first. They are electronically controled by an on-board chip.
Now why cant honda do that?
sounds simple enough to me!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Although they don't auto cancel, all I have to do is just push the lever IN and the signal returns to the center position and turns off the light.

1. Move the signal button left or right to indicate your intension.
2. Signals will come on automatically.
3. At the completion of your turn, push the button in and the light will go off.
4. Continue ridding normally.

Hopefully these highly detailed instructions will help many of you save money on your next purchase.

If you still need to spend the extra money, please consider I'm ridding an 85VT700 and with your thoughtful donations, I too can ride a much more expensive bike. Of course I still won’t have auto canceling lights…

·
Registered
16 Posts
mindfungus said:
Although they don't auto cancel, all I have to do is just push the lever IN and the signal returns to the center position and turns off the light.

3. At the completion of your turn, push the button in and the light will go off.

Hopefully these highly detailed instructions will help many of you save money on your next purchase.

Ok - maybe its just me because I am new, but that seems very complicated.......

Could you please go over one more time ??

Thanks,

doggie

G

·
There are many on this board who can personally attest to riding truly old school bikes. If one thinks lacking self canceling turn signals is a hassle, try no turn signals, or try fumbling with that little headlight mounted high beam switch, or the mechanical advance. Try dealing with a rear brake failure when your rear brake is your only brake, or a craked front end or a cracked mag wheel. Ever dirt bike with a rigid frame?

G

·
mindfungus said:

If you still need to spend the extra money, please consider I'm ridding an 85VT700 and with your thoughtful donations, I too can ride a much more expensive bike. Of course I still won’t have auto canceling lights…
What do you think we are..rocket scientists??

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
CrazyDave said:
There are many on this board who can personally attest to riding truly old school bikes. If one thinks lacking self canceling turn signals is a hassle, try no turn signals, or try fumbling with that little headlight mounted high beam switch, or the mechanical advance. Try dealing with a rear brake failure when your rear brake is your only brake, or a craked front end or a cracked mag wheel. Ever dirt bike with a rigid frame?
Talk about old skool, when I went for my drivers test you had to signal with YOUR HANDS, them new fangled lectric signals were not even considered legit by state law. Useing the electric signals would fail your driving test, for real.

My how times they do change.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I agree with CD, but he forgot the kick start. I was lost when I got my first bike without one wondering how easy it would be on a very cold morning to jump start a bike because the starter didn’t work. I have always been taught to glance ll my instruments and mirrors once every 15 seconds max, and if I happen to leave my signal on, it is on for no more then 15 seconds. However, it has become second nature, as did shifting with my foot and clutching with my hand. Interesting thread though. :lol:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I dont even see how you compare these 2. If bucks are of no concern, I would take the Sportster in a heartbeat. Hell, I am already getting sick of Honda, and I really wished I had done my homework, because if I had, I would not be sitting on this anemic helicopter but a Vulcan 1600 Classic. But who knows, I may before the end of summer anyway. The Spirit is really a outdated piece of crap, and Honda should be ashamed of themselves for letting this bike end up next month, never having FI or a belt. Sorry for the rant, but their is alot better, thus the end of production.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I like how there are turn signals and lenses that have arrows molded right into them. Just in case people following couldn't tell buy the location of the light.

Ten years from now you'll turn on your markers and a sign will pop up with moving lights, a waving finger and a audio message " Hey you back there, I'm turning left, pay attention!!"

Of course they still won't auto-cancel.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
TRjam

If ever you wanted to insult the taste of hundreds of folks at once, including your own, you just figured it out. I think that the Spirit is a clean look and has an exceptional price proposition. Now, granted there is no accounting for taste, or maybe lack of in some cases, but I truly love the clean look of MY spirit, which you just called a piece of crap. I am looking at the VTX 1800 and although mechanically I love the machine and it fits what I want right now, it is not as appealing to me looks wise as my spirit is. Now, there are others who might salivate over the style and I respect them for it, but I would never call it a piece of crap just because I have no class.

Thanks for your views on my bike.

Dragoon :evil:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Dragoon, it has nothing to do with the folks who have one, and I have always respected your posts. But deals more with lack of sight on Hondas part to not try and move this bike forward. They stamped it out and kept it going with little or no modifications based on the profit margin of never having to invest back into it. And, that my friend, is ashame. I dont fault the bike, but Honda.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I would agree that maybe it has lived on a little longer then maybe it should have, but it is still selling and for some it is a great entry bike that handles well, is low maintenance, additionally, it represents a bike that a large size beginner could conceivably buy and not have to trade up in half a season. Honda has made some really good and really bad decisions, that I would admit, but overall, they are one of the most successful companies in the world and they have some of the best engineering in any industry. I See your point.

Cheers

Dragoon :D

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Now why cant honda do that?
Honda can, and does. My 94 GL1500 had self-cancelling turn signals. It's all a question of keeping the price down. Like some, I'm a little surprised that it's even an issue. I can think of few things easier to do than pushing a button to cancel the signals. Even on my GL I always cancelled them myself before the auto feature kicked in just from habit.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I am grateful that someone decided that I don't really need self-cancelling turn signals or some of the other "fancy" gadgets that I probably wouldn't be able to work anyway on my 750 Spirit.

This way, I could afford to buy a brand new bike that is fast enough and reliable enough to drive every day, in all kinds of weather and will keep up with my husband's 1100.

Even if I had $14K, I probably wouldn't buy a H-D-- I would get Dawn to do a super fly paint job on my Spirit, add a few pieces of chrome and call it a day. My bike is only 4 months old, but it has 4K miles on it and I love it more every day. I wear my Honda Rider pin very proudly.

·
Registered
526 Posts
CrazyDave said:
When I took my MSF course the bikes had the turn signals torn off. The instructor wanted us to hit the button when he signaled a turn, I opend my yap and said we could use hand signals. He looked at me funny.

I used hand signals. http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmanual/handsigs.gif http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs31thru32.htm

If you dont know hand signals, it won't hurt to learn them. It is movement, the human eye is attracted to movement, thats why your signals flash and the LED's can be had with flasher units that break up the signal. If the person behind you is napping, the movement will draw their eyes.

It annoys the heck out of me when a biker puts dime sized turn signals on his bike, then doesnt bother to use them, and doesnt use hand signals. I guess he figures the noise of the pipes will save his life if I cant see his signal, or the quarter sized brake light in the Chebby 2500 series.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.