Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it bad if they touch the exhaust? Mine is just just barely touching it - not quite resting on it.

thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Most bags just clear the pipes.....depends if they are "straight pipes" or muffled..............mine are mufflers and the bags just clear the pipes by an inch.............they do get a bit of carbon on the bottoms, specially when it idles but I usually wash them regularly...........also they do get a bit of heat on the bottom but nothing to worry about.....they can handle it...........one thing to remember when packing is you don't want to put anything on the bottom that is sensitive to heat...........clothing is good.........plastics are not.........not to worry about any of this while riding as the wind will keep them cool........just be aware when duck walking in a parade.............
Krusty

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
It depends on if they are truly leather or a synthetic material...but a good rule of thumb is...don't let anything touch the pipes. But...if your bags are touching the pipes when they are not loaded with the normal stuff, you will not want to put much more in them because the bags will touch the pipes and possibly melt or mark the pipes. Neither are a good thing.

You should be able to shorten the yoke on the bags to give you more room between your pipes and the bags.

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I Had my stock exhaust on my bike the bags were about 1 1/2 inches above the pipes and there would be no problem but when loaded down they came closer then that and they did melt the leather a little and put a bick black mark on the pipes (oh no honey now I HAVE to buy new cobra pipes. :wink: ) I would just be very careful

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.