Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching but cannot come up with any answer and the mfg is no help either. So, here is my question. Is there any way to quiet my 4/1 pipe? I love the look but it would be great to quiet it down some. There seems to be no baffling available and I have not been able to come up with an idea of my own to handle this. I've thought of trying to find another quieter pipe that would fit, but I'm not sure if that exists. Any ideas? Thanks Mike

·
Registered
539 Posts
Try wrapping your baffles in insulation. Some have mentioned it's available at most Auto parts stores. If you have no removable baffles, your local muffler shop may be able to fabricate something for you.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Was looking at your V&H...not sure if there is screws/rivets in the end cap of muffler. IF screws....take them out and try to see IF the internal baffle will remove. IF it does and you "only" see perferated expanded steel baffles....you may be able to "wrap" some "MSR Muffler Packing Kit Duraflex Hi-Temp Fiberglass" (Tucker Rocky item...Mfg.#9106-03-2010) around/into the baffle and re-install. The "kit" costs about $7.00'package at the dealer/bike shop. Or check out: www.msr.com

If there are rivets...drill them out and see if you can still remove the baffle and add the packing kit. Then re-install and use self-tapping screws to secure end cap.

Been using this "Kit" for many years to pack mufflers/baffles on many different bikes. If the shop doesn't have this for a "motorcycle"....look in the ATV section. It'll keep the noise down but will burn up(4-5000) as the miles roll up. So I try to re-insatll "new" packing every couple months.

Hope this helps.

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are two screws which I removed at one point, but I could not pull the canister out. It seemed even if I could, the fit would be so tight I could not wrap anything around it and still get it back in. Are you saying to fill up the center with this insulation in this kit?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
after you removed the screws and tried to "pull" the insides out....wouldn't come out, eh? Well, use some "liquid wrench", kerosene, pliers, etc. to loosen this section(more like a carbon build-up...just gotta wiggle it out). Looks like a tube in the center of 2 flat round plates. This probably should come straight out the back. When out, it should look like a "dumbell shaped" thing. The tube (pipe) down the middle is the exhaust pipe....DON'T stuff anything in there. :roll: But you should be able to "wrap" the "packing" around the area "between" the two end caps. Use string or tape to hold in place as you return the "baffle section" back in the bike.

I'd check to see if you might have missed another screw or two by the way. Sometimes they have them on the underside of the muffler (back end, front end) or maybe remove the muffler section from the pipes/bike. Might need a "rap or two" with a wooden dowel in the tube(front to back) to loosen.

If you remove this thing (I hope) it'll be easier the next time. You'll be able to tell "when" to re-pack.

Hope this helps,

Bullzeyet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts