Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my original r/r one day when i started my bike it started smoking and melted the back. so i bought a new one and it started smoking as soon as i plugged it in ?? so i checked it with an ohm meter to ground and it shows resistance on both red wires and both green wires does anyone have any idea what has happened to my bike? 84 vt 700 c

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
It's impossible to say without doing some troubleshooting. Use the troubleshooting guides here--http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/diagnosis-center

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
Two of the slots in the plug are vertical and one is horizontal. The plug fits real tight
That's not the connector I'm talking about. I believe the connector is under the left hand cover but I'm not sure. Should be 3 yellow wires on both sides. As Adlowe pointed out I'm asking what is the condition of the connector. If it's all blackened and burned that could be your problem.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,481 Posts
I took it mean when he connected the plugs to the R/R before he even started the bike it started smoking. If that happened I would guess he has something other going on unless the stator is shorted out.

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
SMOKE???
Ain`t good!!!!
Gotta find the problem, these R/Rs are expensive, too expensive to smoke anyhow ;)

LLLL bring it over

And I thought cigarettes were expensive @ $1.50 a pack :D

Good Morning HSN!!
I`m going outside, I will check on this afterwhile
Dennis

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,253 Posts
I took it mean when he connected the plugs to the R/R before he even started the bike it started smoking. If that happened I would guess he has something other going on unless the stator is shorted out.
Shorted stator wouldn't cause the r/r to cook with the bike off. It's got to be an electrical problem unrelated to the stator -- particularly if it's happening with the key in the "OFF" position. Seems like the "hot" lead is running juice into the "cold" one. Melted stator-r/r wires (the 3 yellow wires jpr1968 asked about) could have melted adjacent wires -- things are packed tightly in there. If the 3-yellow-wire connectors are no worse than mine were then isolating the problem becomes more difficult.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
Shorted stator wouldn't cause the r/r to cook with the bike off. It's got to be an electrical problem unrelated to the stator -- particularly if it's happening with the key in the "OFF" position. Seems like the "hot" lead is running juice into the "cold" one. Melted stator-r/r wires (the 3 yellow wires jpr1968 asked about) could have melted adjacent wires -- things are packed tightly in there. If the 3-yellow-wire connectors are no worse than mine were then isolating the problem becomes more difficult.
That's what I was getting at. I should have stated that the connector could have melted and melted through other wires exposing the conductors. Also look at the wiring going to the starter relay/solenoid.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,253 Posts
That's what I was getting at. I should have stated that the connector could have melted and melted through other wires exposing the conductors.
EXACTLY how I took it. A shorted stator wouldn't do a thing. It's the r/r that is connected to the battery so those connections could be the problem. 3-yellow-wire issue could be enough to melt insulation of any adjacent wiring -- though I've never personally seen that. (I got to mine in time.)

Don't know why the r/r would be smoking if a "hot" lead is shorted to ground. The battery would be dead before the r/r got connected. Leads me to suspect that maybe the "hot" lead is shorted to the other r/r lead -- though I still think the smoke would come from the wiring rather than the r/r.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
three yellow wires

The three yellow wires that come from the stator and plug into the r/r look just fine. When i plug the big plug in on the r/r , the r/r starts to smoke with the key off so i hurry and unplug it fast

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
before this happened

when i first got this bike going, the old r/r was letting the stator over charge the brand new battery causing all the acid to boil out and i had to replace it twice. then one day i started the bike and the r/r started smoking at the back where the plastic is. so i ordered a new one and as soon as i plugged it in it started smoking just the same.. now when i check continuity to the red wires to ground they show resistance and same with the yellow wires so i assume i have ruined the brand new one too??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.