Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are looking for rain suits any advice on where to look and what to look for?

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Lots of folks here are at the alter of "frog toggs", myself I prefer gortex, at the pro bass shop I found "extreme weather" pants 199.00, jacket 199.00, these are the most expensive items I have purchase for bike wear, I have never had a leak, the worst storm I rode in, water got into the head light somehow, blew the bulb, but I stayed dry as toast.

try on whatever you buy before you buy, as the rain suits have to go over your clothes.

mark

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
It depends on the usage factor...ALOT! If it is just to get you by on an ocassional OH SH!T it's raining trip. In my OP, Frogg Toggs are a GREAT choice, it's what we carry. If you are planning on riding in the rain a lot...Spend some money buy a good quality set, which ones, not sure the others will help you there. Me, I am avoiding rain at all cost, I like dry roads and clear visibilty!
Coop

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Gortex is "the poop", no doubt. Worth the $$$, if it's in your budget. I'm not AT ALL dis-appointed with mine.

Frog toggs are good for still activities....fishin, huntin. I can't say they wouldnt "flap" alot in the bike, but plenty of folks wear them. Feel similar to newspaper.

My last suit was about 100 bucks for Jacket (Parka), and pants from WalMart. The gf likes her Frog Toggs, bibs and jacket...35 bucks. It easily fits back in it's pack/bag....very lightweight... approx the size of a basketball.

THE BEST PART of my bibs is Velcro ankle straps (around the bottom of pant leg).

+1, fit over clothes..... think about how difficult to put on, on side of the road. Big pant legs to fit over boots, then tighten with (Velcro) straps to keep water from RUNNING up your leg on that forward control.

Remember, right leg is (possibly, come to think of it) near the exhaust..... Burnt hole....leak....etc. Maybe a set with extra padding/heat shield would be worthy.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
No need to spend big bucks. We got suits from Jafrum three seasons ago and have worn them more times than I can count with zero issues. Lacking vents, they wouldn't be good for a Mississippi 90 degree summer day gully washer but otherwise they are ideal. I suppose venting can be added. See: Motorcycle Helmets, Motorcycle Jackets, Leather Jacket & Leather Pants. We bought RS5031 sets. They also carry Frog Toggs.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Academy in my area carries Frogg Toggs. Even cheaper than most online places.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have Frogg Toggs... I wore them Tuesday. I rode through a south Alabama monsoon for about 30 miles at 50+ mph. It was 80+ degrees. I got neither wet nor sweaty. 'Nuff said.

They come in different styles and thicknesses; my wife has the ones that feel like newspaper. I have heavier ones (but I ride a lot more).

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have Frogg Toggs. My only complaint is the length. I'm 6'1" and feel they could be a little longer on both top and bottom. But I've never gotten wet wearing them.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I bought my Frogg Toggs at Bass Pro Shops . They have reflective piping, and mine do not flap in the wind. but I have a windshield.
I have yet to get wet in them, but I have only worn them in a few downpours.
Dan

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the suggestions guys I think I will have to hit up either Scheels here in town or hit Cabela's up when I go home next.

·
Registered
561 Posts
No need to spend big bucks. We got suits from Jafrum three seasons ago and have worn them more times than I can count with zero issues. Lacking vents, they wouldn't be good for a Mississippi 90 degree summer day gully washer but otherwise they are ideal. I suppose venting can be added. See: Motorcycle Helmets, Motorcycle Jackets, Leather Jacket & Leather Pants. We bought RS5031 sets. They also carry Frog Toggs.
I read your comments on a earlier post about this rain suit, so I bought one to try. I like the quality for the price, now I just need the rain to try them out!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
A couple of things you might want to think about when shopping for a rain suit:
#1: Do you wear armoured riding gear? A number of riding suits are cut to go over riding gear. If you don't wear padded or armoured riding gear then these will tend fit you a bit baggy and can flop in the wind. ( I don't use a windscreen) . There are also some cut to fit snug.
#2: One piece suits will do a better job of ensuring no rain gets in. Some people find them easier on/easier off. Not me. I prefer two pieced suits. If you go with a two piece, try it on, then sit down and extend your legs to ensure there is still plenty of coverage between the jacket and pants. If you are riding and get caught in the rain, easy on is real nice to have.
#3: I am a big fan of sewed in elastic stirrups. Keeps the pants snug and not riding up your legs. Real handy if you have a forward riding position, highway pegs or forward controls.
#4: Make sure any and all pockets close and seal out moisture otherwise you might find yourself putting away a rainsuit with a couple of pints of water hanging out in the pockets just ready to soak the inside of your gear bag.

These are just my personal opinions based on riding through just about every type of storm out there. My biggest thing when I go buy a suit.... that reminds me, I need a new one.... is again, ease of getting into (I split one in half one time trying to get into it quick while getting soaked on a roadside), snug fit (I've melted pant legs on exhaust pipes), and sewn in elastic underboot stirrups. (My legs were soaked from the knees down because the winds blew the pant legs up).

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Plagiarized article: I don't remember from where... sorry:
Branded Rainsuits Aplenty

Except for BMW, Harley-Davidson and Triumph, the major motorcycle manufacturers typically offer branded suits of low- to mid-range integrity simply because they can sell an awful lot of 'em. Almost all of these suits are manufactured for the companies by Intersport Fashions West (IFW), a mega apparel producer out of California that ghost-sews much of the major manufacturers' leather goods as well (in addition to its own line of Firstgear and Hein Gericke-labeled apparel). Luckily, IFW has high standards and seems incapable of producing trash. Therefore the medium-priced rainsuits bearing labels of Honda and Suzuki, Yamaha and Victory will keep you dry for extended periods and won't fall apart from prolonged exposure to the wind. These suits are typically made from coated vinyl and don't feature many bells and whistles beyond nice closure systems, some reflectivity and those proud logos.

I do know that HD makes a pretty solid rainsuit, but I believe it comes in HD black/orange with their logo on it. That will add some extra dollars to the price too.

Before you buy, I would recommend trying to put it on while wearing your boots. Imagine yourself jumping up and down on one foot, in the rain on the side of the road. Rainsuits ripped almost all the way in half don't seem to work as good as one would want.... that's what I hear anyway!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts