Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of reactions have you gotten, good, bad, angry, funny or indifferent from the general public simply because you ride a motorcycle? I've had an old lady who looked about 90 flip me the bird, a mother loudly scold her teenage daughter telling her to stay away from people like me plus countless dirty looks. Then there are those who are genuinely interested in what it is like to ride and of course the pretenders. I bet some of you have some really good stories to tell.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Mostly the guys at work doing crap like throwing rice under my bike and running in going "dude, you're bike's leaking!" Grrr.

But that wasn't really the question, was it... I've been riding in ~25 degrees of a morning, and I've had a lot of people ask me what's wrong with my car.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Most people think I'm crazy to ride when I tell them what I do for a living. I look at wrecked cars all day and see first hand the carnage that comes from a car wreck.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rice thing is one I haven't heard before. You gotta admit it's kind of funny.

In mid November I was standing in line in a coffee shop and a guy wearing a Ski - Doo jacket asks, "Kinda cold to be riding a bike, isn't it?" I answered by asking if there was snow on the ground would he be snowmobiling? He thought for a second and said, "Point taken."

·
Registered
673 Posts
My favorite was the drunk driving the pick up that pulled up next to me and said "do you know how many friends I have that have been killed from riding motorcycles" my reply was, "nope, do you know how many people are killed by drunken azzholes driving pick ups." then I called 911 and followed him until the deputy sheriff got there.

Good times were had by all!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Have gotten plenty of friendly admonitions to be careful from people I don't know, and quite a few nice looking bike comments. So far nothing negative, but have only been back in the saddle for a little over a year this time

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have had very few, really none, bad experiences.

My biggest feed back has been from kids with remarks like "He an old guy" or "See the old guy with the Motorcycle" or "Dad - see old guys ride motorcycles".

I really didn't realize I was THAT OLD.

I have on several occassions, ladies I would say in their late 70's to early 80's have complimented the bikes I ride. One lady I know, had to be in her 90's, leaned out the passenger side window of the car she was riding in and gave me a big grin, a thumbs up and said pretty bike son. Now that made me feel younger !!

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I've always got smiles from gals and thumbs up mostly. I guess I don't try to make a spectical of myself when riding. I probably have just as many cars passing me as I pass, so I don't ride all that fast either. I don't sit at the stop light and rev my engine like others do.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Once had a young woman at a stop light roll down her car window and call out "I love you!" We couldn't blame her, as we tell the Beast that every time we ride; and often as we pass it in the garage. Of course it never answers.

We trudge on.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Maybe it's location or attire or all the Police on cruisers.

In N Florida at lights people give me thumbs up and the kids in the back many times wave and smile.

I sort of look like a sport bike rider on a cruiser wearing a modular helmet and armored textiles. Even when I rode the 919 I'd get the same response.

Now my co-worker had his VT-1100 painted Gator Orange and he would really get people waving and positive comments down here.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I teach in middle school. When the kids find out I ride, I'm elevated to a whole new level. Once I was leaving a meeting at the high school and two girls were staring at me, smiling. When I went over and pulled off my FF helmet, they just about **** themselves - they were both former students. Priceless.

I'm a bit arrogant, so I don't notice if anyone is turned off by how I transport myself. I really don't care what they say or do. But getting flashed would be nice! (by a female preferrably.)

·
Registered
404 Posts
So far no negative experiences. One ride last year my wife and I were passing a School bus and the young girls on the back were very excited to see a lady rider dressed in pink. It was cool maybe my wife inspired some young girls to ride their own too.

·
Registered
289 Posts
No issues with anyone on my end compliments on my bike - some disdain from Harley riders usually they are in groups when this happens....some kind of pack mentality perhaps? Other than that no problems!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Mostly positive feedback with very little negative reaction. The most interesting was a couple of weeks ago when I stopped to fuel up and a guy that was in the adjacent fuel lane walked up to me and said "Thanks for not having loud pipes". ( I still have the stock pipes.)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had a guy at a stop light yesterday ask me to turn my bike off because he couldnt hear what the person on his cell phone was saying. I just laughed and told him that his talking on the phone was going to end up killing me quicker than riding my bike. The look on his face was worth a million bucks...then I proceeded to rip away from the light.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
NO one cares...They see a "crazy old guy with shorts, a camp shirt and Velcro sneakers on a Yamaha V star with a Toyota Emblem on the back .....and turn the other way to look at something far more interesting . I like that.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts