Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking the forums and came across someone recommending downloading a manual from http://hondatech.info/downloads/Moto/. I've seen this listed numerous times at HSN, sometimes check the site, and always annoyed they dont have one for my '87 VT700. (Doesn't really matter, I have the Honda Factory & Clymers manuals!)

Anyway, I must be having a boring saturday night or something because I took awhile scanning what is listed on the site. Then I opened this ABSOLUTE GEM!

Honda Common Service Manual

This is a must download, must read for anyone wrenching their Honda, either oldies (like me) or especially newbies or anyone considering wrenching. First thing I did was download it. After perusing it some, I was impressed with the extra depth beyond the model specific manuals.

It covers general information, basic theory of operation of various systems, basic information on troubleshooting, inspection and repair of components and systems for motorcycles, scooters & ATVs.

Chapter 1, General Information, is a MUST READ for any newbie, covers basic stuff about fasteners - types, torque, locking methods, bolt strengths, cleaning/oiling threads, locking methods, etc. If you've never done anything mechanical,this chapter alone could save a LOT of painfull learning. (Trust me!)

The generic theory, diagnostics, and methods in each section goes beyond the model specific manuals. I've read a lot of posters asking for advice on the forums because the manual just doesn't say exactly what to do or how to do it. I agree, the manual is brief sometimes, but I've done enough similar stuff to usually be able to get by.

And always remember - Know enough to know when you don't know enough!

Gumpy

·
Registered
387 Posts
Great resource Gumpy, thanks for sharing. I know I will read it through to give myself a better understanding of what I am doing when wrenching on my bike, thanks again bro. :lol:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thanks for taking the time and finding this resource for us Gumpy.

I don't think I'll get that deep into working on my bike (other then adding some odd's-n-end's)

But I think it would be wise for me to take the time and scan trhough it for those "Just in case" times on the side of the road...

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,272 Posts
Actually, I've consistently found Honda's model-specific service manuals to be grossly short on important info -- and assumed that you had to "pair" them with the common manual in order to get through anything complicated. That's the main reason I've been re-upping with HRCA -- to get online access to the common service manual. But now that I've downloaded a copy, I'll be considering other options when renewal time comes around.

Thanks for posting that link!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Good info site there Gumpy(model and common). Thanks much, like you said, it'll helped some of the newbies (and us ol' geezers too!). It'll give me another source to check....since I loaned out one of my Clymer's for the CB 4-cylinders to some guy here on the board. :p :p :p :lol: :lol: :wink: I hear his project is slowly coming along. :D 8)

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gumpy said:
Just checking the forums and came across someone recommending downloading a manual from http://hondatech.info/downloads/Moto/. I've seen this listed numerous times at HSN, sometimes check the site, and always annoyed they dont have one for my '87 VT700. (Doesn't really matter, I have the Honda Factory & Clymers manuals!) ....
Someone said the last one is for the vt700, but I didn't try it.

http://hondatech.info/search/vt7

(This one: http://downloads.hondatech.info/Moto/vt7__.pdf )

Check this out and see if it would be of any help to you.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've got the model specific service manual for my '84 VT700, and this is a great resource for one particular reason:
Now I can toss that file on my keychain jump drive and have the info with me anywhere I have computer access!

Thanks a bunch!
-Kris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.