Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike started running kinda rougher than usual, a little harder to start and warm up. Normally, start..warm for just a few seconds and can drive off. Have to wait a bit longer. Backfiring a bit more on decel and a few times on start. Had the fuel/air ratio fixed up by my mechanic when I got the bike, had Vance & Hines pipes but nothing was rejetted. I pulled the plugs ....

I'm think the top 2 are ok but the bottom two are carbon fouled? What do ya'll think? Few more pics if you click the picture

·
Registered
30 Posts
How long do you leave the choke on? How old are those plugs? Each bike has its own "personality" and some only need to be choked very briefly. Those plugs could probably be cleaned, but for a couple bucks a plug put some new one's and call it done. I would ask your mechanic how much he adjusted the mixture. It looks like you have the stock air cleaner so it shouldn't have needed much if any with just new pipes - if anything just a tweak to the mixture screw. Also check your air filter to make sure it isn't clogged.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed my plugs 2 weeks before I took pics of these so they are about 2 weeks in the bike. I don't leave my choke on, only use once in awhile. The choke doesn't seem to help much. I pull the choke on, bike still won't start, push the choke back in and give the throttle a couple of slight turns, will start up then. Checked air filter, K&N, seemed ok. Can those mixture screws move? I know he didn't plug them back with anything after he turned them. It was running great, no problems starting at all...ever until a couple of weeks ago. And it sounds different, more popping and like a hesitation or a skip. Not as much air coming out of bottom pipe as top (not sure if that's normal or not)

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you don't need the choke at all you are running rich and the plugs are proof of that. Especially with them being 2 weeks old. The mixture screw will not move by itself so the plug isn't necessary.
I would check the mechanics adjustment and make sure he/she didn't change your jets. The initial adjustment is 2 3/8 turns out and then you fine tune it from there. It helps to have a tach connected, but you should be able to get it real close by ear. If you need help let me know.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, I was there when he did the adjustment so I know he didn't do anything else. I thought it was running rich but I didn't want to go messing something up that I was taking guesses at. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another question that just thought of. Bike ran fine after he did the adjustment and that was about 1 1/2 months ago, any reason it would just start acting up?

·
Registered
30 Posts
It is probably just a little off and slowly fouling the plugs. Do you let idle a lot? I buy a lot of bikes at auction and the combination of the employee's not knowing how long to leave the choke on and sitting there idling means I am cleaning/replacing plugs A LOT!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.