Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
How long do you leave the choke on? How old are those plugs? Each bike has its own "personality" and some only need to be choked very briefly. Those plugs could probably be cleaned, but for a couple bucks a plug put some new one's and call it done. I would ask your mechanic how much he adjusted the mixture. It looks like you have the stock air cleaner so it shouldn't have needed much if any with just new pipes - if anything just a tweak to the mixture screw. Also check your air filter to make sure it isn't clogged.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you don't need the choke at all you are running rich and the plugs are proof of that. Especially with them being 2 weeks old. The mixture screw will not move by itself so the plug isn't necessary.
I would check the mechanics adjustment and make sure he/she didn't change your jets. The initial adjustment is 2 3/8 turns out and then you fine tune it from there. It helps to have a tach connected, but you should be able to get it real close by ear. If you need help let me know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It is probably just a little off and slowly fouling the plugs. Do you let idle a lot? I buy a lot of bikes at auction and the combination of the employee's not knowing how long to leave the choke on and sitting there idling means I am cleaning/replacing plugs A LOT!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.