Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After comparing some photos and eyeing the bike, I think I can get pretty much the handlebar setup I want = by readjusting the angle of the stock bars forward. I don't want full on ape hangers, just a slightly higher grip and more extension room for my arms. Keeping the stock bars saves me ~$100 plus whatever it may cost to extend the wires and cables... :shock: I know this will change the handling but overall seems to be a worthy adjustment.

Bike: 1985 VT700cc

Questions:

Are those just welch plugs over the four bolts holding the handlebars in place?

Any purpose to them other than aesthetics?

---> Is drilling through them the only option for making handlebar angle adjustments?

Any idea where I could find replacements if drilling them out is the only way to get to the bolts?

Thanks guys. Any other relevant handlebar suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, the image was helpful. I'll see if I can get a small knife around the edge to work them out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't see the VT700 either, but I did use the VT750 from an adjacent year to map things out in consideration of the advice in the health article swifty linked too.

As far as posture, the new handlebar positioning makes it more natural to sit with a straight back, and without my shoulders rolled forward so much due to the lower original grip.

As an additional benefit, I've got more confidence in my sideview mirrors now that they are positioned a bit higher. And not gonna lie, its added some fun to the ride (maybe just because i'm adjusting to a "new" feel), kind of feels more like flying with the arms outstretched a little more.

Definitely recommend this quick adjustment to others.

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
The 1983-85 models are the same except in the USA the 84-85's are 700's. I may try the same thing on my bike. Could you show a picture of the new angle for reference?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'd be glad to. We're experiencing a small snow storm in the northeast, but when the cover comes off in a day or two I'll post a photo here.

To give you an idea in the meantime, I marked either side of the bars with a marker that would easily wipe off, and then loosened the bolts to the point where the handlebars could be rotated but would not move freely on their own. Then I mounted the bike, stood it up straight, and eased the bars forward until I felt had a comfortable grip. This ended up being a height where my hands would be close to level with my heart.

After tightening the bolts back down and dismounting, it didn't look like an extreme angle adjustment while standing from beside the bike (the side posts aren't quite vertical yet), but the feel while riding is like day and night. Make sure to also adjust the brake and clutch fluid reservoirs to be relatively level again afterwards. Plus any mirror adjustments.

I started with a conservative adjustment that feels good, but who knows, I may go back and adjust it even further if things go well.

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
Great. This is where mine sit now. My friend I got it from was about 6 foot 5 so they may be higher than factory already.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
I have a copy of the original 1983 Cycle Magazine road test and this shows where they were from the factory just for info.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That looks about where mine were set-- they appear to come pretty much in line with the forks stock. It took about a 25º adjustment to get where I liked them. Maybe saying the tops of my knuckles are about the height of the bottom of my collarbone would be more anatomically correct. Small angle adjustment, big difference in feel.

Cool photo from the magazine!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
6 Participants
adam3131
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing