Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going back and forth with a large local dealer, this is my first bike and I was looking at Harleys for a while then when I spotted a Shadow I thought it was a Harley, so I went shopping.

Wow it is lighter easier to sit on and looks great.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger this week.

I'm not looking to go real fast but want resale value and it appears to me the 750 is the way to go.

Now I'm confused between the Aero and the Spirit, the salesman just says one is chain driven and the other is gear, so I asked what the pros and cons are.

He had no real answer, so I'll ask you guys that question.

Do you agree with the choice of the 750?

Here's what he offered

'06 Aero 6100, sprit 5900
'07 6100, 6800

Plus 300 for two tone paint.

I asked how much the windscreen and sissy bars are he only gave me a round about a few hundred bucks.

Any and all input is appreciated.

He also had a '05 trade in 750 with 3,000 miles asking 4300.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The Spirit comes in both chain and shaft
Chain = maintenance not much but some ... clean oil and adjust.
if you maintain it it will last you a long long time
if you do not it will fail you
you can also manipulate the gear ratio easily on a chain

Shaft = no maintenance .. every 30,000 miles your remove a drain plug and put it back in then remove a filler plug add oil and put the filler plug in :)

Hope this helps
get the spirit C2! best of both worlds and the tail light is more cool
Glen

·
Registered
539 Posts
Go with the '05 trade in!!

3000 miles on a Honda is not even broke in good yet. :lol:

The price seems reasonable as well if there is nothing wrong with it; (scratches, dents, missing parts, etc.)

The money you save over buying new can go towards accessories that you can use to make the bike your own.

750's are the way to go. Spirit or Aero. Not to mention they sound more like Harleys than the 1100's. (If that's what you like.)

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
The two are differents 'styles.'
Which suits you more?

How big are you?
Some of the larger members(TALLER, I SHOULDA SAID TALLER) have expressed the desire for more hp than the 750 provides.
Are you going to ride two up?
Carry anything with you?
Overnights or two week rides?

You can see I have an Aero, love it - but you need to think in terms of what you are getting the bike for - purpose wise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AngryHatter said:
The two are differents 'styles.'
Which suits you more?

How big are you?
Some of the larger members(TALLER, I SHOULDA SAID TALLER) have expressed the desire for more hp than the 750 provides.
Are you going to ride two up?
Carry anything with you?
Overnights or two week rides?
I'm 5'9" 175

I will be riding 2 up most of the time, can't say what her weight is :D , but say light.

Just day tripping short, carry maybe lunch.

·
Registered
539 Posts
LI Pets said:
AERO_HEAD said:
LI Pets said:
What is a typical dealer discount on new bikes?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's a good one! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ok, explain that..................
Sorry, I was being a smartass. Truth is, I don't know of any powersports dealers that offer any real discounts. I do know of one in Chattanooga TN that sells for less than any other dealer around. SouthernHonda.com

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The Spirit has more of a sporty look to it. Semi-bobbed rear fender, smaller front fender, & I think a thinner and taller front tire. The Aero has more of the classic look. Fenders that come down in the back, I believe a wider front tire.

It all comes down to personal preference. My sig pic will tell you what my choice would be.

Suggestion: Do a little shopping around. You can probably pick up a nice, low mileage, Spirit or Aero (what used to be the American Classic Edition, ACE) with accessories already attached for a very reasonable price. Unless you are looking to get a warranty this might be the way to go. Oh, by the way, Honda's seldom need their warranty! :)

I utilize mine similar to the way it sounds like you will, and love it!!!!!!

Hope this helps!!!!

·
Banned
28 Posts
LI Pets said:
'06 Aero 6100, sprit 5900
'07 6100, 6800

Plus 300 for two tone paint.

I asked how much the windscreen and sissy bars are he only gave me a round about a few hundred bucks.

Any and all input is appreciated.

He also had a '05 trade in 750 with 3,000 miles asking 4300.
have you ever ridden a bike before? if not then i would suggest the used one to feel your way through it. you may find that you don't want to ride at all. if you drop the used bike it's not such a big deal.

i got an 06 aero so you know what my choice is. bottom line all good choices and that ain't bad!
:lol:

bill

·
Registered
225 Posts
billfitt said:
have you ever ridden a bike before? if not then i would suggest the used one to feel your way through it. you may find that you don't want to ride at all. if you drop the used bike it's not such a big deal.

i got an 06 aero so you know what my choice is. bottom line all good choices and that ain't bad!
:lol:

bill
+1.

I bought my first bike a little over a month ago, and i chose a 2003 shadow ACE 750, with just less than 17,000 miles.

i spent right at $4000 for it, and when i decide to upgrade to a VTX or a Valk, i'll still be able to get most of that back.

If you buy new, just like a car, you'll take the hit in the value, and if you wind up trading bikes after a year (which many 750 riders do) you'll eat that depreciation.

I bought small and used to learn on. if i drop it, i'm not gonna cry as hard as i would if i dropped a valk. I can tinker and play with it for less cash than one of the bigger/newer bikes.

i'm also 6'1" and 220, so the 750 is a little small for me.

There was a time that the sprit, ACE, and aero were all offered, but the ACE has been dropped (03 was the last year)

the ACE is basically a spirit with bigger paintwork (fenders and tank) and a bigger seat. the sprit is more like a HD sportster. leaner, sportier, but with a cruiser stance.

in 2003, the aero was shaft drive (the ACE and spirit were chains), and had even bigger paint work than the ACE.

personally, I like the chain drive, seems to be less driveline loss, and with a 750, you need all the power you can get.

It's obviously a personal opinion, any you are on the right track by asking others....

but for your first, buy used, you can always trade up, and usually get your money back if you sell it intelligently.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I see these guys discount their bikes, 6800 list selling price 5950.

I like to buy new and stay away from any problems.

After reading a lot of info in old posts it appears that shaft or chain is just as good other than a small power loss with a shaft drive but then less to fuss with maintenance wise.

As far as style I think my wife and I like the Aero styling.

Now it just a matter of finding a deal on the east coast, we travel a lot from Fla to NY along Rt95 so we can find any dealer along there I suppose.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My two cents!

My son has 03 Spirit and he loves it! He says the Aero is an old man bike! LOL! I have ridden it and it handles pretty good. It is a heck-of-a sharp machine! I bought it for him from a friend at work that is about your size. He sold it because he felt "to big for it". He did look a tad big when on the bike!

My best friend has an 04 Aero and he loves it! I have ridden it and it handles like a dream! It corners much better than the Spirit in my opinion! The bike is longer and a taller person looks much more comfortable on it. It also "looks" more at home with a passenger than the Spirit.

Now, if I was buying a new 750, I would go with the new 07 Spirit! It has a 19" front wheel some different styling and is really SHARP!!!!

You can't go wrong with either bike! One may just "fit" you a little better than the other!

Good Luck!
Rick

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'd go with the shaft drive over the chain. Style is your decision, but I think the Aero has it. I've got 23k on mine and like her just fine.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you ride 2-up alot go with the 1100. I Bought an '01 Spirit 750, great bike, but after rideing 2-up with the wife the 1100 was a better choice for me.

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok ours would be about 310, so pretty much the same. ARe you saying the bike couldn't handle it or just not enough balls.

I assume it still went ok for average riding?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts