Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2009 VT750C2 Spirit, 2012 VT750C Aero, 2014 CB1100
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long post... Apologies in advance.

I recently purchased a new rear tire and tube for my 09 750. Brought it to the dealership because I wanted it done right.

Immediately after the tire install the rear drum brake is making this low pitched squeal, more like a honk... Sounded a lot like a goose, no joke!

It did it even when I wasn't touching the brake...

I brought it back to the dealership 10 minutes later and a different tech (the shop manager) test rode it, said that it seemed "a little tight", and he adjusted the nut on the threaded rear brake rod.

That seemed to do the trick.

Then it only did the "goose call" when I used the rear brake... I figured the shoes were settling in, and that the noise would go away once they settled.

I went home, but the "goose call" continued intermittently.

Three days later I'm riding and tap the rear brake... Although it's engaging, the bike isn't really slowing down.

Luckily I have a 2012 Aero with the exact same drum brake to compare it with, and yeah, something is definitely screwy with the 09's rear brake.

Brought it back to the dealership today.

The tech who did the work wasn't available, so they asked a different tech to look at it.

The new tech said that my brake shoes had become glazed and needed to be replaced.

The service writer said he would only charge me for the parts and the time needed to swap the shoes, and that he wouldn't charge me for the time to take the rear wheel off, since they had just changed tire.

I think it was $103 all in (not counting previous tire change which was $108).

I kind of feel like I got shafted... Am I being paranoid?

I had no trouble with the brakes before they changed the rear tire. The bike has 17k miles on it, the last 7k miles put on by myself, so it seems a little early for the shoes to be done...

Also, about 1500 miles ago (last summer) I hired the same shop to flush and refill the brake juice. I had no brake problems at all until this new rear tire.

I understand that with an older bike, stuff can happen that's nobody's fault, but I have a gut feeling that my brakes only glazed over due to a poor adjustment by the previous tech, and even if they "only" charged my $103 to fix the brakes, that's not a repair I should be expected to pay for.

Of course, I didn't get any parts back, and I didn't ask. I'm not looking at legal recourse, but if this was obviously the shop's responsibility, I guess I need to find a new place to have my routine maintenance done.

Is my paying $103 to replace the glazed shoes fair under the circumstances? Or should I start looking for another shop?

I wish I had a garage and tools so I could do this stuff myself, but I don't...

There is a Kawasaki dealer in town that would love to sell me a new bike or two... lol

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,337 Posts
I have done hundreds of brake jobs (on cars) so I would take a guess here. I think the mechanic got grease in the drum or on the shoes so they chattered when in contact with the drum. If they were too tight it would heat up that gease, bake it into the shoes and and cause the glazing.
That can cause a vibration chatter .
The shoes may have been able to be cleaned and sanded but if the new shoes have taken care of the whole problem then that is the best.
But I think it was caused by them not cleaning and adjusting properly.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I have already paid the shop to replace the glazed shoes, my question is... Is this a repair I should of had to pay for?

I had no issues with the rear brake until this recent tire change, and I brought it back within ten minutes after the tire change when I detected the noise.

The shop adjusted it and sent me on my way, but the noise persisted and within three days the rear brake was barely working at all.

If the original tech who caused the problem had been available to work on it, that would have kept it simple, but since the shop had to bring in another tech to clean up the mess, I understand why they are reluctant to eat the entire cost...

But it doesn't seem fair that I should be eating the cost for something that wasn't my fault at all.

Should I try to discuss it with the shop manager?

What is the Honda "book cost" for replacing brake shoes on a 750 Shadow?

I'm trying to be reasonable and would prefer not to burn this bridge, but I may have no choice if they want me to pay $100+ for someone else's mistake.

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,337 Posts
The shoes sell for about $50, but too bad they don't eat the labor from their mistake, just for customer goodwill if you have been a loyal customer for a while.

· Registered
2003 Ace Deluxe
214 Posts
its fairly easy to check the brake shoe if you have a way to get the rear wheel off the ground

did you check that the axle was straight? i go as far to check my rear axle dimensions with a veneer so its exact side to side.
if its not my rear brake squeals

if you have no brake then tighten the little adjuster nut and take the bike around the block,
also make sure your pedal is adjusted properly. if its too low then it bottoms out and you have no brake.

reference the online manual.

· Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,141 Posts
Not always but it's usually a tech low on the totem pole that gets to change tires, the good tech's time is too valuable to waste time on it. One reason I remove the wheel from the bike myself and bring it in with the new tire.

Reactions: JayFreddy

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, the shop agreed to give me a credit towards my next service of any kind.

I'm still paying for the brake shoes, but the service manager has to pay for parts out of inventory, so that's harder for him to adjust.

He will credit me for the labor fees I paid plus a little extra towards labor next time. Not a complete refund, but it's better than nothing, and I've had pretty good experiences with this shop so far.

Generally these guys seem to have integrity, and even good techs can have bad days.

I own three Honda motorcycles and the other Honda motorcycle dealership near me is horrible.

Thanks for the patience and words of wisdom.

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,337 Posts
Glad they are treating you half way decently anyway. Stick with them!
Bring in a box of donuts next time. They will love you forever.

• Haha
Reactions: JayFreddy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts