Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
But, he's wrong.

4 or 5 pounds? In the 60s, when they were leather, maybe.

My helmet meets snell standards so the impact requirement is more on the order of 10g's.

His remedies of banning cell phones, eating & drinking, etc is just asking for the "BUT IT's MY RIGHT TO EAT" crowd along with a serious reality check.
Mandatory sentences?
What country does he live in?
Ain't the US of A.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I always love it when bikers compare Dale Earnhart's fatal wreck with wearing a helmet on a motorcycle. The reason Earnhart's helmet snapped his neck is because his body was restrained but his head/helmet was not. Last time I checked, we don't use seatbelts on motorcycles so this is one of those apples and oranges things. Also, NASCAR didn't eliminate helmet wearing...they just made it safer.

·
Registered
188 Posts
uh....yea. Was that a serious news broadcast? He obviously didn't do much research and I guess the editor was drunk that day.

Even if we didn't eat, drink, talk in the car there would still be accidents, and I promise the helmet works much better, at any speed, than my head.

--BB

·
Registered
188 Posts
PPL will always fine reasons to validate their point of vue, and can have a very logical way to do it. Does not mean they are right.

I had 2 accidents were the helmet made a dif for me, in one of them my son was with me and it did make a dif for him too. Helmet had marks after the crash, so imagine my head or my son's head in this crash without the helmet.

I ride since i was 14 yrs old, I am now 50 yrs young, i had many crashes, but 2 of them my head hit the ground, and lucky for me i had helmet on. That video guy lives in a 1960 buble and he did not look attentivly at the crash conditions to say things like that.

·
Registered
749 Posts
He can do as he pleases, but, if I fall off and whack my melon on the pavement I'll be glad I have my helmet on. Here's an idea for any inventors around here. Invent an air bag type helmet. It would be petty small and light weight but would inflate at the appropriate time.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I thought the video was quite entertaining, no comment on the contents, but it was funny. LOL

Snooze said:
Here's an idea for any inventors around here. Invent an air bag type helmet. It would be petty small and light weight but would inflate at the appropriate time.
Someone did invent a MC airbag suit. It was several years ago that I saw it. IIRC, it was a jacket that inflated as you flew through the air. I don't recall how it was triggered.

Edit: I just looked it up and it actually came to market. http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/airbag-jacket/motorcycle-airbag-jacket.htm
...inflates upon disengagement from motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
beowulf said:
I thought the video was quite entertaining, no comment on the contents, but it was funny. LOL

Snooze said:
Here's an idea for any inventors around here. Invent an air bag type helmet. It would be petty small and light weight but would inflate at the appropriate time.
Someone did invent a MC airbag suit. It was several years ago that I saw it. IIRC, it was a jacket that inflated as you flew through the air. I don't recall how it was triggered.

Edit: I just looked it up and it actually came to market. http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/airbag-jacket/motorcycle-airbag-jacket.htm
...inflates upon disengagement from motorcycle.
I remember when that thing came out.

Yes, it was triggered by a dead mans switch.

The only thing that runs through my mind is after I depart the bike and that suit inflates, I'm a basket ball bouncing around an intersection.
Good? Bad? Don't know... but I'd like to see one demonstrated in the real world.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I thought it ironic that he would require that everyone take the MSF course when the MSF course encourages the use of helmets.

If you don't want to wear a helmet then that's your business but don't discourage (or even imply to discourage) the use of them, that's just irresponsible.

·
Registered
658 Posts
He obviously had a lot of flaws in his logic. IMHO, the biggest flaw was the '14 mph' logic for not wearing a helmet. i.e. - if you travel over 14 mph a helmet does you no good.

He obviously has no common sense of physics. You don't need to be a scientist to realize that a helmet is usually protection from the fall due to gravity - falling from about five feet in the air. You could be going 50 mph and take a tumble - your helmet will do several 'glancing' blows along the pavement. It's a lot less likely to go head long into a brick wall at 50 mph. Plus, the fact that helmets are designed to absorb - and not transfer to the head - impact Gs seems to be a concept beyond his comprehension level. Fitting, I suppose - for someone who blames DE's death on the fact he was wearing a helmet.

He looks like a potential future Darwin award winner to me.......

·
Registered
204 Posts
I dunno, i kinda looked past his stab at not wearing a helmet (gotta give him credit for sticking that one in there lol). I focused more on his rant that people need to be informed on motorcycle safety when they get their drivers licence (which i support). Along with banning cell phone useage. And stiffer drunk driving penalties.

He had some good points, seems he lost his audience with the no helmet deal he stuck in there.

I think he tried to say that not wearing a helmet is just as dangerous as the people who are uninformed, cell phone talking, eating, not paying attention, drunk drivers who share the road with motorcyclists. He just got his message across a little wrong.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Funny, I thought he came right out and said that he was safer riding without the helmet. Anyway, he lost me when he started sticking his finger in my face.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I took a look at several other videos of this guy and some of them are pretty good. I particularly liked the one where he took on a local magazine writer. They also mention that he has won an Emmy, so I guess there is success and money in being a biker with an attitude.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
He's got issues. It seams to me like he needs a "reality check".
The helmet issue had been beat to death here and can go on for several pages, so I guess I won't bite this time. Give it a rest and go ride!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never particate in helmet threads .
And my reason for posting this, Was not bout helmets .
Its bout the reporter !

Jack

1 - 17 of 17 Posts