Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this morning I checked the forecast and it's going to be such a beautiful day! Got up, happy as can be, get myself ready for work...get to the bike and bam...realized I left the key in the ignition in the 'ON' position...dead battery :-(

I plugged in my trickle charger, but It's not enough to boost it...so I had to take the Cage into work today...sooo sad.

And I was pretty mad with myself for doing that.
/Rant

·
Registered
2017 Indian Roadmaster
983 Posts
I had a similar situation happen...i was on the bike, getting ready to back out, when I got a call from one of my coworkers. I hit the kill switch and took the call. The call lasted all of 45 seconds. When I tried to start the bike again, the battery was dead. As it turned out, the battery was going bad and the new (at the time) lightbar was a contributing factor.

It happens.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Bummer. That is why I got in the habit of turning my bike off with the key rather than the kill switch. Plus I don't have the embarrassment of trying to start my bike with the kill switch in the off position.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,445 Posts
And I forget to turn off my blinkers and get all kinds of "well you should...." but one can leave a key on and run the battery down and not one beat you up reply? :shock::lol: Of course the thread is young. I done it once on the Toyota van for 10 mins. thus I found out how weak the battery was also before winter.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
I always turn the bike off with the key and then hang the key inside the house. Your issue is exactly why.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
Spit happens. I never use the kill switch, always the key. That bright red switch is in case of emergency only. But that's just the habit I've gotten into.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
So, this morning I checked the forecast and it's going to be such a beautiful day! Got up, happy as can be, get myself ready for work...get to the bike and bam...realized I left the key in the ignition in the 'ON' position...dead battery :-(

I plugged in my trickle charger, but It's not enough to boost it...so I had to take the Cage into work today...sooo sad.

And I was pretty mad with myself for doing that.
/Rant
THIS is one reason I do not use the handlebar stop switch to shut a bike down. I can't remember the last time I've even touched the stop switch on a bike.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Bummer. That is why I got in the habit of turning my bike off with the key rather than the kill switch. Plus I don't have the embarrassment of trying to start my bike with the kill switch in the off position.
^^^^ every thing he said.^^^^

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
That is the one bone I have to pick with the MSF teaching the use of the e-stop to turn the bike off. Always use the key and you won't ever have to worry about killing the battery.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Use the cage to jump the bike. You still get to ride. :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ I was actually thinking about that, but my ride to work isn't enough to charge up the battery :-(

I think Honda should simply put the ignition in a spot easier to access and more visible to make you think about the key...yes, Honda should completely redesign the bike to meet my needs as a ride :-D ha ha!

I can be absent minded big times if things take up most of my thinking power! :p I've at times, turn the engine off using the key to not kill the battery but then forget the key in the ignition (off position). Luckily I was at work and parking is secured so I still had the bike when I got back to it at the end of my day! :p

·
Registered
86 Posts
well, so i park my bike in my garage or on the street and i want to have it in gear when it's parked. i cant reach to the ignition because i need my left hand on the clutch, so i use the kill switch, and got into the habit of immediately going for the key.

i only drained the battery once... during MSF course when I killed it with the switch but didn't move the key :)

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
That is the one bone I have to pick with the MSF teaching the use of the e-stop to turn the bike off. Always use the key and you won't ever have to worry about killing the battery.
They actually teach that...:roll: What possible difference could it make if you use the kill switch or the key for God's sake. What a bunch of control freaks.

I guess I now have another problem with the MSF, thank God I never had to suffer thru their 'course'.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was hoping to come back this evening and the Bike cranked up and you out riding...
;)

Ha ha! I'm glad I didn't disappoint! I had the battery plugged in with the tender.
Came back after the gym and turned over like a champ! Went riding all evening...felt awesome! it was 20C!! Put my cut on, helmet and BAM! like a boss! :)
Made me happy!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I've always cut mine off with the kill switch, then pulled the key and put it in my pocket.

new bike just has a lockable ignition switch, so I have to remember to lock the ignition in the "OFF" position every time I get off. even sitting in my garage, it gets locked up.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Having almost dropped my bike a couple times forgetting to put the kickstand down I've gotten in the habit of using the kickstand to turn off my bike. Am I hurting it in anyway by doing this? I haven't left the key in it or in the on position yet but I only have one year of riding.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts