Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to adjust the drive chain and the axle nut will not budge - using a 17mm hex socket is even slipping. Sprayed a lubricant and still nothing. The bike is lifting off the stand when I try

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,460 Posts
The rear axle nut is up to 22-24 MM on most of these bikes. What bike do you have with a 17MM?

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
2002 Shadow VLX
103 Posts
VLX has 17mm as well. (On chain side). The other side looks slightly bigger. Anyways I use an adjustable on the other side since exhaust pipes are very close for most of my sockets to fit there.

The other side is a self locking nut. Make sure the threads are not damaged and the locking nuts itself is not damaged. Those has some small plate type.

Try tightening a bit to see if anything is stuck under thread which might get released by doing this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VLX has 17mm as well. (On chain side). The other side looks slightly bigger. Anyways I use an adjustable on the other side since exhaust pipes are very close for most of my sockets to fit there.

The other side is a self locking nut. Make sure the threads are not damaged and the locking nuts itself is not damaged. Those has some small plate type.

Try tightening a bit to see if anything is stuck under thread which might get released by doing this?
yes, exactly this. I am going to try later today. if no go, I am not going to ruin the nut...will let the service dept attack it as i plan to put WW tires on it. It has the original tires from 2002 (less than 6K miles) so those need to be replaced anyway. The chain is loose, but I can ride carefully to the dealer...and will anyway considering the age of the tires

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I currently have the tank and fenders off getting repainted and the tank stripped and lined from all the crud in it so it will be about a month before I know if I can get it started.

·
Registered
379 Posts
so it will be about a month before I know if I can get it started.
Getting it started...
I suggest you find a donor tank, could even be a lawn mower tank or a tapped into gas jug, etc., and spend some time getting it running to be sure it does run.
Something I'd do before spending money on paint, etc.
Just me though,
:unsure:

·
Registered
16,928 Posts
Do you reckon some YayHoo put Loctite on it???
I use the "roadside Tools" in the pouch for my chain adjusting, I RARELY use anything else...
Someone MAY have "hunkered Down " on it too ;(
Good Luck,
Dennis

yeah, @Kenstone I don`t spend a dollar before checking things out too...
I have a lawnmower tank hanging in the rafters for such projects

·
Registered
436 Posts
LocTite usually isn’t THAT tenacious! ;) You say a ratchet is ‘slipping’, have you tried a breaker bar? Ideally, a good air impact gun would be best, as it delivers that sharp ‘hit’ to break it free, rather than steady torque that may twist something off. Also, applying a little bit of heat to it with a torch might do the trick.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,460 Posts
Use a 6 point socket when it looks like they are starting to round off.
Never use a "Crescent wrench".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Getting it started...
I suggest you find a donor tank, could even be a lawn mower tank or a tapped into gas jug, etc., and spend some time getting it running to be sure it does run.
Something I'd do before spending money on paint, etc.
Just me though,
:unsure:
that would have been a good idea...i got a head of myself. It will be a nice looking piece of furniture if I botch it

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
982 Posts
Use a 6 point socket when it looks like they are starting to round off.
Never use a "Crescent wrench".
Please explain why, in depth.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,460 Posts
A crescent wrench may be OK to hold an end of the axle, but they can spread open and slide and round off the flats on a very tight nut.
A 6 point socket will hold much tighter to turn a tight nut.
If I even have the feeling it will be a fight I will go for a 6 point.
I hate rounding off a nut or bolt and then have to find other way of getting it off.
I have done it of course but the time wasted is a factor.
Then i grab my Turbo sockets. They have saved my butt a lot of times, especially on exhaust bolts.

·
Premium Member
7,552 Posts
A crescent wrench may be OK to hold an end of the axle, but they can spread open and slide and round off the flats on a very tight nut.
A 6 point socket will hold much tighter to turn a tight nut.
If I even have the feeling it will be a fight I will go for a 6 point.
I hate rounding off a nut or bolt and then have to find other way of getting it off.
I have done it of course but the time wasted is a factor.
Then i grab my Turbo sockets. They have saved my butt a lot of times, especially on exhaust bolts.

I agree! Sometimes plan B (vice grips, cold chisel, torch), can really suck. A 6 point leaves zero room for slippage. They can be a life saver on a high torque application or an ugly rusted nut.

·
Registered
16,928 Posts
Yeah AND Be SURE the tool is the CORRECT SIZE!
I was helping my neighbor to remove blades from a mower once, I went to start pulling on it and felt free play...
I then found out, He was using a 3/4" socket on an 18mm bolt...

It pays to Pay Attention to that,
Dennis

I use 6point whenever I have one...

And to comment on >> Never use a "Crescent wrench". >>
Yeah back in my early mechanicing "learning days" I found that a cresent wrench is EVIL !!!! ;)

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,759 Posts
A good quality not worn out crescent wrench makes all the difference in the world. I have the same 12" Proto for 24 yrs. and was my everyday working wrench. I have newer Irwin 6" & 8" that if you adjust on the nut, the darn things has to be loosened to get it off the nut. Pretty good quality but I don't over use them like I do the 12" Proto.

FWIW I use a 1 1/16" OE/BE for the big nut on the Valk. Used it just last nite after installing a new tire last night. What a PITA w/o help. Scary working on a 800 lb. bike up on a bike jack (1st. time) and secured to boot. I bad visions of a the Valk laying on its side after coming off the jack. :oops: The verdict is still out on this one. I felt better/safer using my engine hoist, jackstands, and lifting straps which has been my setup for 13 yrs.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,460 Posts
An 800 pound bike on it's side with your leg under it.😣

·
Registered
16,928 Posts
Yeah @h13man , I KNOW that feeling of insecurity when it comes to that...
I have a drive on lift, and I`m a whole lot more careful when I`m doing things on it...
I`ll agree with you on that cresent too...
A GOOD ONE is the key!
BUT I only use that cresent when nothing else is available... ;)
I used a cresent at work, BUT we had plenty of replacement nuts & bolts...
I liked that cresent on square nuts,
Dennis

One inspector, on the power lines, did NOT want us using channel locks...

·
Registered
436 Posts
The fishermen where I grew up used to call the adjustable ones ‘Jesus F*ck’ wrenches. Because that’s inevitably what they’d scream after slamming their knuckles into something when it slipped, before they fired it overboard! ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quality adjustable (crescent) wrenches are ground with a slight taper to the jaws, after you get it snug on the nut/bolt slide the handle out before you reef on it. The taper also keeps the wrench from sliding off and you using your mother-in-laws name in vain.

When you want to remove said wrench and it's clamped tight, smack the end of the wrench towards the jaws and it'll probably come right off. If you're staring at the wrench with a wedged nut in it because you took it all the way off that way, now's the time to beat the wrench against your vice or the concrete floor.

Swilly

Reactions: Troy Jollimore

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,759 Posts
An 800 pound bike on it's side with your leg under it.😣
And nobody around as Momma is in Houston right now so caution is at its highest consideration. Just couldn't ride on a worn out Cobra any more. No threads showing but was starting to delaminate in 3 spots. So far found a worn shock bushing (urethane aftermarket), cleaned the coolant tank, replacing all pads, front brake fluid change, and coolant change for now. Be doing the fork rebuild after the season is over

1 - 20 of 21 Posts