Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alcon (All concerned),

When I apply my rear brake, I hear a slight scraping noise coming from my back brake. It is louder now that I have let it go for awhile. I just replaced my rear brake last year and find it odd that i have to replace it so fast. That being said, I do ride almost everyday, regardless of weather, and I actually replaced the brake shoe, not the actual drum. Is it time to replace the shoe again you think? Or does it need an adjustment? It just seemed like after I got it back out of the shop the last time, that the new brake shoe did not last very long at all. It was a Honda factory replacement shoe.

Any advice or suggestions?

Also: In the front near my brake pad, I have a very think pinkish/red line, almost looks like bubblegum "perfectly" wrapped around the outside of the rotor. Whatever it is, looks like its actually supposed to be there. I havent pulled any of it off, and believe it or not, it's still safe to ride. I ride and have been using the front brake mostly.

Is it time for new rear drum and shoe? I can replace the pad on the front myself.

Suggesitons?

Thank you,

Chris

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Bad brakes don't usually get better with time. Pull the rear wheel and check things out. Not sure what you have going on up front. have any pics?

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
If it's a drum brake, it's not brake dust build up is it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know bad brakes dont get better with time. I'm just trying to figure out what it is I need to buy since I'm trying to save some money. Whether or not I need to buy a drum or shoe or both. I'll take some pics tonight and post them when I get home. Unfortunately, in order for me to get the rear wheel off, I have to take it to the shop since it is shaft driven. Unless I'm mistaken? and you're right, it could be brake dust build up. I honestly did not think about that. thank you for your help.

Smilie, I have the exact same bike you do and same year. Have you experience anything like this at all??

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
I know bad brakes dont get better with time. I'm just trying to figure out what it is I need to buy since I'm trying to save some money. Whether or not I need to buy a drum or shoe or both. I'll take some pics tonight and post them when I get home. Unfortunately, in order for me to get the rear wheel off, I have to take it to the shop since it is shaft driven. Unless I'm mistaken? and you're right, it could be brake dust build up. I honestly did not think about that. thank you for your help.

Smilie, I have the exact same bike you do and same year. Have you experience anything like this at all??
Well, I sure hope you don't need a "drum", as it's molded into your rear wheel hub. Brake dust shouldn't make a scraping sound. If a shop has already been into it, I'd suspect their work and be digging into it myself to check. If you take it to the same shop, they're going to cover their own a$$, and charge you more money for a possibly incorrect job to start with. If you're unable to do it yourself, you may want to look into a different shop. I wouldn't make them aware of your suspicions re: the work the other shop did, and ask exactly what they found when the work was completed. And no, I've not had any trouble with my bike at all.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The rear wheel is very easy to get off, put it on the center stand. Great videos on Youtube for reference.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
The rear wheel is very easy to get off, put it on the center stand. Great videos on Youtube for reference.
His bike doesn't have a center stand. I think they eliminated them in the 3rd gen bikes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just another idea or guess......

When you store your bike are you using any power tools around it? How about sanding? That dust can get in there and cause a grinding noise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope not power tools, and unfortunately its stored outside right now but i keep it covered. I will definitely take it to another shop and see what they say. And that's correct, I do not have a center stand.

Thanks for all the helps guys, much appreciated :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
you will have to hoist it up to remove the wheel, and high enough to clear the fender--or take the fender off first. On my bike, the rear drum brake has a gauge that will measure how much travel. It can be adjusted until it shows out of range and then the shoes must be replaced. Unless you are noticing that you have a lot of travel in your brake pedal, which would indicated worn shoes, then it is probably something else. As others have said, the best thing is to remove and inspect. Figure out a way to get it off the ground, remove the brake linkages and the pinch bolt. Loosen the axle nut ( leave it on and tap the axle a little with a rubber hammer to get it broken loose) then remove the axle. Grab the wheel and move it to the right and it will disengage from the drive shaft and drop for removal.

I had my wheel off twice last year. i use a Harbor Freight motorcycle lift for $80 and some wood blocks to avoid the oil filter and R/R. Make sure and re-lube your gear and drive shaft end with Honda moly grease. You can get new shoes for $20 or so on line.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
remove the rear wheel and strip the brake, print out a copy of the assembly in the parts list exploded view and use it to reassemble, make sure everything is moving correctly..

Take the shoes off and use a file to chamfer the edges of the brake shoe, not just the leading edge but all the way round the edge, I have seen cases where the shoe has either come loose from the backing plate or bits of the edge of the shoe have broken off.

John.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
^^ yup and remove the pivot so it can be cleaned well and re lube

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I do have some travel in my brake pedal, which gave me the same thought, worn brake shoes. I guess I'm just complaining that they have worn that fast. It's only been a year, and 1. I do ride almost everyday regardless of weather, and 2. I use my rear brake way more than my front. I guess my lack of common sense and frugalness with my money has led me to believe it may be sth else. I can definitely take off the rear fender this weekend and take a look at it. I may go ahead and drop the $80 on the lift from Harbor Freight and do it that way. R/R???

Thanks again Flying Greg. Sweet $20 that's not bad at all. It definitely beats paying the $47 I paid last time at the Honda dealership.

One more thing, I adjust the passenger seat springs or shocks if you will. Do you think that would have anything to do with it?

Chris

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all I really appreciate all the help. I never thought of that. And no I do not use a pressure washer to clean my bike.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
What year model is the bike? On my 1990 VT1100C, where the arm attaches to the drum there is an arrow. When you adjust it so much that it passes the arrow, you know you need new pads. Just a thought.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Tim, I really appreciate that. I'll take a look at that. It is a 2007 Honda Shadow 750

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Thanks Tim, I really appreciate that. I'll take a look at that. It is a 2007 Honda Shadow 750

yeah they have the wear tag as well...... if its the Aero its not quite as easy to get the wheel off with the low guard ;)

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,479 Posts
Just curious, what type of shoes did you put on?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts