Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen both in searches... which is right? I just replaced mine in my T and filled it over on the stand... now I'm wondering... got a long ride to The Tail of the Dragon tomorrow...

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
The engine oil is checked standing up so i'd have to guess the dif. is too??

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
ALL fluids are to be checked and filled with bike or reservior verticle and level. You might have to tilt the bike to get the brake and clutch Master cylinders leveled.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all... I went out and corrected my error. It didn't make much difference, except in my head, LOL. I HATE taking those hard saddle bags on and off, and the ^%$# exhaust is in the way, but I bit the bullet. Won't make that mistake again.

Oil and filter changed, brake fluid changed front and rear, pads checked, tire pressure checked, rear fluid changed... was going to change the coolant, but I'm out of bike work time (and it gives no indication of having heating problems at all... the fan will come on if I've sat without moving for awhile, but it cycles like it should). I should be good to go!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You didn't make an error until you corrected your error. In other words engine is checked with bike level. Differential is checked on the side stand. True its not much different but you will be spilling gear oil out the vent until the level corrects itself.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
You didn't make an error until you corrected your error. In other words engine is checked with bike level. Differential is checked on the side stand. True its not much different but you will be spilling gear oil out the vent until the level corrects itself.
+1 - later models (97+) the diff is checked and filled on the side stand.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<<SIGH>>

Figures... started to wait for a few more replies, but the wife has "honeydos" that I've been working on.

I'll go out first thing in the morning and siphon off a little... it doesn't take that long... unless you guys figure it's no biggie. Better to have too much than not enough?

·
Registered
60 Posts
later models (97+) the diff is checked and filled on the side stand.
I have a '96, so does that meant I need to add mine until it is level when bike is off of it's kickstand?

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Actually, have a container under the fill plug and when you take it out the overfill will simply pour out on it's own and yes the level is done on the sidestand.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Agree. Just checked my manual

1 - 14 of 14 Posts