Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will this work on a 99 shadow spirit 1100 with the flared rear fender? I'm looking in to doing a lay-away program with this dealer down the street from my work who has a 99 spirit 1100 black with 29k. The bike is tight for the money but the old school lazy boy bars and that flared fish tail fender are pretty gruesome. I did a search for other year models and it looks like I can get a normal round shaped Ace fender for a decent price on eBay in the same color. I'm assuming it will just bolt on after rewiring the lights right? Possibly a seat changed required, not sure.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Not entirely. You need the sub frame, seats and side rails from the same bike you get the fender from. The Spirit is a uni seat and the A.C.E. has dual seats.

Also, any reason youre looking at such an old bike? What comes on it and how much do they want?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
For around town, my 2005 750DC has been perfectly fine. I'm 6'3 and 260+ these days. It is a little cramped for long distance riding, even with FWD controls, but around town it doesn't bother me. The power is adequate, for what it is. The 1100 is not a massive power upgrade from the 750, either. And, actually, neither the 1100 nor the 750 are dramatically more power than the VLX 600.

You might open some better options if you give the 600 and 750 a fair shake. For $2200, I would suggest you do some shopping around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks bud. The 750 has all of the cool stylings and I've sat on them with a nice snug feel. Can the brake pedal be adjusted where its tilted a little more toward the ground? I had my foot tweaked up to fit. All donations to the bikeless rider foundation go this way :)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I don't know about the stock pedal, but I have a set of Mapam FWD controls on my bike. The pedal can be adjusted very easily.

If you're 6'1, FWD controls would be one of the very first upgrades I would suggest, even for the 1100.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The Mapams made all the difference on mine too. Im not sure where JW got the $2200, but if thats the price of the 1100, you can get a MUCH newer bike for less than that.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Previous post (#4) from JC85, now edited.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I wondered, but couldnt tell :) Still, $2200 is a LOT for a 16 year old bike even if thats book.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the 1100 spirit. I got a used ACE rear fender on eBay and it bolted on perfectly. I'm even using the seat from the old spirit fender. The factory 2 piece seat, a Corbin one piece seat, and a Mustang tourer seat all work perfectly. Fender was even painted to match as it came from a same year ACE with the same colors. Im with you, I'm not a fan of the spirit style fender. Here is a photo of my 97 Spirit with the ACE rear fender.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,277 Posts
I have the 1100 spirit. I got a used ACE rear fender on eBay and it bolted on perfectly. I'm even using the seat from the old spirit fender. The factory 2 piece seat, a Corbin one piece seat, and a Mustang tourer seat all work perfectly.
EXACTLY what I'd expect. Other than the engine (single-pin-crank in ACE vs dual-pin-crank in Spirit), rear brake and routing*/attachment of exhaust they're the same bike with cosmetic changes for differentiation. Compare. Honda has always liked using common parts. Other than the Spirit pillion backrest, the seats are basically the same.

--------------------
* Front exhaust pipe on Spirit goes over footpeg; on ACE pipe goes under. Rear pipes follow different line across side cover.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Luckily for me! Do the 750s have a sub frame? I didn't know this. I've never even sat on one. I'd like to ride a 750 one day. Well... To be honest, I'd like to ride all makes and models one day lol.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is exactly what I want to do. When I first got the spirit I loved the sporty look as well as the rear fender. After a short time, that all changed. I am now looking into getting a rear fender from a shadow ace and bolting it on. After reading this thread, I guess the only question I have is, will the tire size requirements change? I'm getting ready to order new tires and was just wondering what to expect...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the 1100 spirit. I got a used ACE rear fender on eBay and it bolted on perfectly. I'm even using the seat from the old spirit fender. The factory 2 piece seat, a Corbin one piece seat, and a Mustang tourer seat all work perfectly. Fender was even painted to match as it came from a same year ACE with the same colors. Im with you, I'm not a fan of the spirit style fender. Here is a photo of my 97 Spirit with the ACE rear fender.
I'm looking to do the same to my bike... Do you have any more pics?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Youll need all the components i mentioned earlier before you can do this on a 750.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you're going for the ACE 1100 fender swap to an 1100 Spirit there is no difference in tire size or fender mount. HOWEVER...I do not use the factory spirit seat. The spirit seat is two parts, rider and pillion and each bolt to the spirit fender seperately. I have a mustang seat, made for the spirit (also interchangeable between 1100 models) that bolts on only at the rear fender, in one spot. My Corbin seat is the same, only one rear mount point, on the fender. I don't think, that if you are using the factory spirit seat, that you can use it on an ACE fender...So if you don't have an aftermarket seat, you will be out the $$ for the fender AND a seat...and a tailight...

In a previous post, I ignorantly stated that the two piece, spirit seat does fit my ACE fender and I was wrong. Sorry about that.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.