Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I'm more into the Street Bob look than the Wide Glide. In the event you are not familiar with those, I like the the round down look rather than the flip tail look.

So with that being said has anybody ever tried to swap rear fenders on the 87-96 series Shadow? Maybe tried to put on an ACE, Aero or Sabre rear fender?

Specifically I was looking at this....http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-03-hon...Parts_Accessories&hash=item20f2e4480e&vxp=mtr

Note I have the rear pillion removed already so no concern there.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Unless someone has already tried it, very tough to tell what other models work. Most will requir new mounting holes and filling the existing one. You might be better off measuring the inside of the fender struts and buying one that fits between the struts which allows you to cut and mount it to you liking. Plus a steel fender allow you to carry a pillon if you choose. I mounted a 9" steel on my 2006 Spirit.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Tthat would only work on an 01-03 VT750 model and you would need the side struts too, as it looks like it has the subframe still. At least, not without some serious modding.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, maybe the fender I have just gets a little surgery :)

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Do you have a firm grasp on physics? There are 3 bolt points on the subframe and there would only be two on a steel fender. Last time i checked my math, that wouldnt work. Its not as simple as 'bolting it on' otherwise there would be (gasp) bolt-on rear fenders. Also last time i checked, no one ever decided to make one for any Shadow.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hey furball, chill out man! Not all fenders mount the same but, the model of the OPs Shadow has fender struts like the Spirit and if the fender bolts to the struts then yes a steel fender can be mounted. Other wise no one would sell fenders for custom applications. Anything can be made to fit with some knowledge. Peace out!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
there are quite afew things that are not made for a shadow, especially an early 1100c model. having wondered myself about changing to a fuller fender i found that the side chrome fender mounting brackets from the saber looked the same. maybe others like the ace or the aero will also?? as for aftermarket... well things can often be altered to work. if you want it bad enough i'll bet you can make it happen!! good luck. crossing a 750 with an 1100 is pretty much a no-go.

·
Registered
695 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I swapped out my 2003 spirit 1100 rear fender for a 1997 ace 1100. I had to change the seat, struts, taillight, and license plate assembly. I was lucky to find parts in very nice condition. I then changed the front fender for a 1996 ace 1100 fender, bolted right on even though the spirit has 19" rim and ace has 18" rim. Last week I painted front fender to match rear and mounted today after installing chrome fender tip. I really like the look and refer to my bike as a Space. Honda shop would not tell me if the two bikes were compatible so I just had to go for it to find out. Still have all original parts for spirit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts