Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting new rear shocks for my 97 vt1100 as the ride is starting to feel kind of floaty, i've read that stock shocks are around 11.5", i'm looking at getting the emgo shorty shocks that measure 290mm 11.4" from eye to eye. Should these fit or work? Has anyone ran these?
Here's a link to the ones im looking at.

·
Registered
19,191 Posts
Have you adjusted the sprng tension on yours???

Each of the 5 adjustments of tension will make a lotta difference,
Dennis

I used Sportster Shocks from our ABATE Swapmeet

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you adjusted the sprng tension on yours???

Each of the 5 adjustments of tension will make a lotta difference,
Dennis

I used Sportster Shocks from our ABATE Swapmeet
I tried to, the one would adjust up but the other one wouldn't budge.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
whichever set you get, check your sag. Ideally you want it to sag 1/3 to 1/4 (depending on preference) of total travel with you on it ready to ride. Bike held upright, helpers lift back to top out shocks. Measure from frame above axle to ground. You sit on it, remeasure. With 3-1/4" approx total travel, (Look it up in specs) it should be sitting 1" +/- 1/8th inch down from fully extended. That was middle position on the 412s for me. Rode like crap on the weakest setting. was bottoming out all the time. If you can't get there, may need heavier or lighter springs on the shocks.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I had 412s on both my 750s. And 440s on the 1100, (now 444 series). Verify the sag on your current setup. Maybe an adjustment will make it better. The 412s were good after getting them set correctly for me.

Side note: The Progressive 412s are now made in Mexico, their other series shocks are supposed to still be made in USA

Reactions: Kyle De
1 - 11 of 11 Posts