Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now...first of all....This is about the VT600 VLX. So many threads about sprocket changes get confusing because people start discussing different bikes within the thread and different bikes use different sprocket sizes.
I know there are many threads about this subject and most of them talk about what sprocket size different people have used. I have read that some have changed from the stock (44 tooth) to a 41 tooth and some have said they even changed to a 38 tooth.
I was ordering some parts the other day and thought I would go ahead and buy a 41 tooth JT sprocket. However I discovered that this vendor only offered a 44, 40, 38, or 37 tooth sprocket. Yes I know I can get a 41 tooth sprocket from another vendor and will do so if that is what I finally decide is the best size for me.

So my real question is....do you think that the weight of the rider plays a big part in what size works best? I'm about 225lbs and honestly like the get up and go of my VLX right now. I don't want to lose that. I do not do a whole lot of interstate riding but I am looking at starting to take much longer trips. So I'm looking for input as to whether I would be happy with the 41 tooth or go smaller....40 or even 38 tooth?

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
tbfoto. I have a 41 tooth rear sprocket for your bike you can have. Just pm me if your interested. Mike.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I weigh in a lot less than you tbfoto and have no issues, but I'd not recommend lowering the tooth count more than 3. I run a 41 tooth rear sprocket. You'll find that you'll have taller gearing with this mod. I have only had a passenger 2 times and his weight was under 100lbs. At your weight and if you plan on a passenger, definitely don't go lower than a 41 toother. jmo

btw, nice offer mike in post 3

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tbfoto. I have a 41 tooth rear sprocket for your bike you can have. Just pm me if your interested. Mike.
Wow...I was not expecting that! :D PM sent.

Well like I had stated in my post I had thought the 41 tooth sounded right for me however that vendor didn't offer it but it also got me second guessing the options.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts