Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everybody, get ready to laugh at me.... are you ready? Great, lets go...

So I've just woken my bike out of its winter hibernation. The rear tire pressure was a little low, so I wanted to inflate it a bit, but the problem is that I can't seem to get an air pump onto the stem... there's very little clearance between the end of the stem and the brake drum. Each attempt to fill the tire at a service station has just led to me releasing more air out of the tire...

So my question to all of you... is there some sort of trick here? How can I get a nozzle in there to fill my tire?

Thanks for helping me in my stupidity.

· Registered
4,689 Posts
I had to remove the air-chuck on my little carry-aboard air compressor and replumb a new 45deg air-chuck on to it. So basically you need to find a hose with a 45 degree air-chuck. Or have a 90 Degree stem installed next time you get a tire installed.

· Registered
3,761 Posts
violette said:
Ok everybody, get ready to laugh at me.... are you ready? Great, lets go...

So I've just woken my bike out of its winter hibernation. The rear tire pressure was a little low, so I wanted to inflate it a bit, but the problem is that I can't seem to get an air pump onto the stem... there's very little clearance between the end of the stem and the brake drum. Each attempt to fill the tire at a service station has just led to me releasing more air out of the tire...

So my question to all of you... is there some sort of trick here? How can I get a nozzle in there to fill my tire?

Thanks for helping me in my stupidity.
Are you using an air chuck like this

OR like this?

I always use the 1st type. The scale on the 2nd type isn't very accurate
most of the time.
The 1st type allows you to get in to tighter spaces.
The 2nd type is good for trucks... especially dual wheels, but can be a real pain for motorcycle applications.

Unless my bike is in my shop, it's too much of a pain to roll the air
hose all the way out to the garage just to fill up the tires.
I have an air tank.... like so:

I just fill the tank and take it to the bike.
If the first chuck would work for you, just buy a tank and take the tank to get filled...
then come back and fill your tires. These tanks usually already have
the 1st type of chuck on them.

The front stem on my bike is straight. The one on the rear wheel
is 90 degrees and I can get the 1st type of chuck on both.

· Registered
213 Posts
Just bend the stem to the side enough to get the chuck on. It won't hurt anything for the amount of times you'll do it. Besides you will get the valve replaced when you get a new tire won't you? :)

· Registered
54 Posts
Read your post a while ago and happened to be looking through a J&P catalog before bed. Some people read novels at bedtime, I read motorcycle catalogs... anyway J&P sells a 90 degree attachment for your valve stem. It's part no zz21730 for $16.99. That seems expensive, but it says it's made of light weight aluminum so it doesn't screw up you're tire balance. But they also sell several types of tire repair kits that come with a flex re-inflate adapter, co2 cartridge, plugs or patches etc. Probably a better deal if you don't have one. Get yourself a J&P catalog, or if you want to know more specifics just send me a PM.

Hope that helps.

Bocco

· Registered
1,718 Posts
litnin said:
Unless my bike is in my shop, it's too much of a pain to roll the air
hose all the way out to the garage just to fill up the tires.
I have an air tank.... like so:

I just fill the tank and take it to the bike.
If the first chuck would work for you, just buy a tank and take the tank to get filled...
then come back and fill your tires. These tanks usually already have
the 1st type of chuck on them.

The front stem on my bike is straight. The one on the rear wheel
is 90 degrees and I can get the 1st type of chuck on both.
Litnin, the portable air has become a must for me, but I did make some modification to it, the stock hose sucked for use other than putting air into a tire, so I trashed the factory hose and
Added this to the tank valve,
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34700
Then I bought some rubber air hose and made some short air line out of it with a male and female coupler on the ends of it, now it set up like an air hose that hooks up to an air compressor.
But I didn't stop there, I bought a small filtered air regulator and fitted a set of male and female couplers to it, now I can plug it in to the air tank, then plug the air hose to the regulator, then I bought one of these,
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42939
and I added the correct coupler to it so it can be connected to the air hose. Now I NEVER have to buy another can of dust off! if Im inside a computer I get my air tank, regulator, and air nozzle and I set the regulator to say 30psi and dust away, but it don't stop there.
I have a air brad nailer and sometimes when I get into a small project that isn't close to my compressor, I just get out my air tank and nail away!
I don't have a garage at home, I do have a driveway, but my storage building isn't NEAR my driveway, so if I'm working on something on the car that needs to be blown out I get my air tank and blow away!.
Bicycle tires, ect.. ect.....
I can't tell you how many times in the past two years that I've had to plug and air up a tire on my can somewhere out on the road! (I keep th etank in my trunk)
I think a lot of people just think about an air tank as a way to just air up a tire, but the uses are countless if you think about it.
Here is one I forgot about,
My heatpump at home has a moisture drain line, well it got stopped up and water backed up into the house and was running out on the floor. I tried to poke someting in through the line but I couldn't get it to go through (its a 1/2" PVC pipe). Well I shoved a smaller rubber hose up the pipe as far as I could get it (near the clog), I stuffed a rag around the hose at the mounth of the pipe, got my air tank and air nozzle out and Presto! clog begone. Warning :!: (Don't try this with sink drains, you can blow the joints apart, they are not glued together). Anyway I think you get the idea.
MarkC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.