Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped my rear tire in ~March from a 160 to a 180 and the ride got a lot rougher.
I just thought it was the tire, but I think that the old tire was running a much lower PSI(I didn't check it and it didn't look low at all). I've been reading a bit about guys lowering their tire pressure to help with hard tailed bikes.

What PSI are you guys running on the rear tire? Hard or soft tail?

I'm going to put a gauge on it tonight and see where I am.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
the rear tire usually needs to have more air in it. it does carry more of the weight. on my vtx i run 36 in the front and 40 in the rear. i forgot what the air pressures for the stock tires was... but metzelers have a different air pressure scale for bikes(higher air pressures usually). you don't go by the air pressures that is listed on the bike. i don't know if you have metzelers or not... what kinda tires you got?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I checked the pressure in my tires and they are at 30psi in the rear and 15psi in the front:shock:.
Metzler's website says to run the front/rear at 38-40/44-46 for solo and 40-42/46-48 for 2 up light.

Scary.
I wish I had taken the pressure on the old tire before I replaced it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'll just chime in that the pressure was (evidently) way low on the new 880 I had put on the back of my Phantom, and the tire rolled right off the rim going around a curve. The shop said it looked like there was a pin-prick in the old tube, and like a dumb-a**, I didn't notice it when I took the bike out. I guess the lesson there is *always* check your tires, and run them at the recommended pressures.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Well, I checked the pressure in my tires and they are at 30psi in the rear and 15psi in the front:shock:.
Metzler's website says to run the front/rear at 38-40/44-46 for solo and 40-42/46-48 for 2 up light.

Scary.
I wish I had taken the pressure on the old tire before I replaced it.

wow. that's super low. you could actually ruin a set of tires like that. air 'em up and see if you can save 'em. low air pressure just eats at tires. ya need to check 'em religiously.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts