Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new guy here.
I read a post on the Shadow Forum today dating back to 2012 about how to remove a rear tire on an Aero. I believe the question was not fully answered. Here is how I do it on my 2005 Aero 750.

Yes, the manual says you have to remove the exhaust in order to get the shaft out but, as some have said, this is NOT necessary.

What I do:
Jack the bike up using a bike jack
Remove bolt on shaft
Remove gear case mounting nuts (4 of them)
Loosen pinch bolt securing shaft on right hand side of swing arm
Remove adjuster nut from rear brake rod ( I place all bolts, nuts back where they belong to prevent loosing them).

Now, this is where removal differs from the manual as stated in the old
post.

Remove the bottom bolts securing the shocks. Some say this allows the swing arm to be lowered enough to remove the shaft but that hasn't been my experience. What I have to do is place a jack under the tire before removing the bolts securing the shocks. I do this for two reasons: 1. It prevents the swingarm from falling and getting scratched against the exhaust bracket; 2. It is used to jack the tire up high enough to allow the shaft to clear the exhaust. Push the shocks upward to get them out of the way first though.

Now it is possible to safely remove the shaft. I also place a piece of cardboard on the exhaust bracket to prevent the swingarm being scratched when you lower it on the bracket.

Slowly lower the tire using the jack while pulling the gear case away from the shaft.

Remove the jack and bring the tire to the floor.

Now, remove the wheel from the left side.

Remove the gear case from the tire but keep it facing upward or the gear oil will leak out of it and cause a mess (What I did).

Remove the brake assembly. Now is a good time to clean out the drum and check the shoes for wear, clean up the wheel, check spokes, rim for truness, tightness, damage etc.

Reinstall by reversing the removal procedure. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Welcome aboard. Where is Nova Scotia? I spent some time there a long time ago and its a beautiful place. This would be better in the technical section. Post a few more times and then you will have access to the Tech Section

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Welcome aboard. Where is Nova Scotia? I spent some time there a long time ago and its a beautiful place. This would be better in the technical section. Post a few more times and then you will have access to the Tech Section
Where is Oregon? :?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome

Thanks for the welcome TDB :D. To get to Nova Scotia, you simply have to swim eastward across the Bay of Fundy from Maine (or you could ride through New Brunswick) :wink:. It has some nice roads for riding and is home to the yearly Warf Rat Rally motorcycle meet in the town of Digby. As for the tech info, I thought I would just get right into it and try and contribute. I will repost this in the technical section once I am able.

·
Banned
821 Posts
so glad my baby is chain driven.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts