Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really, it's hard to get loose the nut to remove the rim and tire?
I have been applying dw-40 for 2 days and trying to loosen the nut without success, I already tried using an extension to have more strength and nothing and I don't want to use more torque not to cause damage to the nut or something else.

Any advise?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,207 Posts
Use a 6 point socket which won't round off the nut, and a pipe on the end of the breaker bar.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
546 Posts
Looking at the pic you have here, you are pulling that handle UP aren't you?

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
546 Posts
Saturate the bolt and nut area with a penetrating fluid - like PB BLASTER. Let that sit for a day to do it's work then try to break it loose again. Use a longer "tube" over the breaker ban for even more leverage. Someone may have used a lot of red loctite on that.

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
232 Posts
Instead of trying to move it from stuck. try using a percussion tool if you have one or hit the bar near the socket with an hammer (maybe a bit of pipe covering the bar to protect it.
Don't apply too much strength to the hammer but frequent hits for a long period will end up breaking it loose.

·
Registered
10,248 Posts
And if they used Loctite, heat will break it loose.
Yes100%, apply heat!!!!! Then PB blaster it will release loctite and allow it to go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,699 Posts
The nut should be tightened to 65 ft pounds, however some people lift up the back of the bike with the wrench, I've seen it with my eyes.
It is probably just crazy tight.
I'd apply the weight of my boot to the end of the flex handle, no need to stomp, that isn't what foot pounds means. (-;

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Instead of trying to move it from stuck. try using a percussion tool if you have one or hit the bar near the socket with an hammer (maybe a bit of pipe covering the bar to protect it.
Don't apply too much strength to the hammer but frequent hits for a long period will end up breaking it loose.
I did, The 600 lb 1/2" drive air impact wrench just did not move the nut. Is the reason I'm worried.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If it is that difficult and as very last resort get another nut. then cut that one out.
The nut is a metric one so it won't be hard to find.
Alternative cut it off and take the axle to the hardware store.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That will be the risk @CSRoad.
Get the dremel out and start cutting it off. If you're applying that much torque you will end up damaging the axle

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,207 Posts
If you are pulling up, the rear suspension will lift and you loose some torque. It is a little awkward but if you can put a board under the tire to hold it more firmly,and move toward the front so you can push down, that will give you more advantage.

Another thing that works at times is to give a hell of a push in the tighten direction, to move the threads and then loosen it. If you have an impact wrench that is a trick to try .

·
Registered
1997 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
78 Posts
Just did the rear brake shoes on my '97 Shadow on Saturday and encountered this too. First time I'd been into the rear wheel h/w since purchasing the bike back in October. Prior owner or shop had really overtightened the axle nut. Initially tried with torque wrench and socket, but at 150Lb/feet it didn't budge. Switched to 6-point impact socket on a breaker bar, plus a 2-foot long piece of galvanized pipe over the handle for added leverage and still couldn't break it loose. Gave the pipe a couple good whacks with a 5 Lb hammer while simultaneously applying torque and the nut broke loose! Once loose, it unscrewed fine. No Lock-tite on the threads, apparently had just been torqued down by King-Kong when last serviced. During reassembly, just wire-brushed the threads to clean-up, used a little lithium grease to prevent corrosion/seizing and tightened to 65Lb/feet per Honda spec. Gotta wonder about the side loading and extra wear the overtightened axle causes. Crazy to overtighten something that much. o_O

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,207 Posts
King Kong has a mighty torque wrench ! 😬
I worked with a few guys that would hammer down a bolt with their air impact that should be torqued such engine parts. They say " I know how much my wrench puts out."
Yeah right !

·
Registered
1997 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
78 Posts
I so agree... think I worked with those same guys years back! The impact is great for removing and lightly zipping down the fastener. I always do the final tightening with a torque wrench. That same King-Kong also likes to install spin-on oil filters ;)

·
Registered
2006 Shadow Aero 750
55 Posts
You are using a wrench with a cheater on one end and 17mm allen on the other end and it still wont move? Wow! cant wait to see what did this.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts