Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I have not seen this asked of the OP,,,you did take the cotter pin out?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
546 Posts
I so agree... think I worked with those same guys years back! The impact is great for removing and lightly zipping down the fastener. I always do the final tightening with a torque wrench. That same King-Kong also likes to install spin-on oil filters ;)
I did a few of those oil filters when I was young. After I destroyed a couple filters getting them back off, and cutting my hand on one of those, I learned how to do the job properly. :)

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
I avoid this OVERTIGHT situation by using the HONDA Toolkit Tools what came with my Baby...
Yes, That IS TOO TIGHT!!!
OR a Thread Loc was used,
Dennis

·
Registered
5 Posts
Really, it's hard to get loose the nut to remove the rim and tire?
I have been applying dw-40 for 2 days and trying to loosen the nut without success, I already tried using an extension to have more strength and nothing and I don't want to use more torque not to cause damage to the nut or something else.

Any advise?

View attachment 294028
Impact driver works well

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is that picture printed reverse?
My Shadow, 86vt1 and Goldwing the fill ports for diff areon right side, as is axle nut, axle slides out left, wheel slides left off hub
Is yours the same?
Try gently tighten bolt, often breaks corrosion bond

·
Registered
217 Posts
I always have the bikes weight all the way down like with a car. Break the nut loose with the torque wrench then jack it up and finish removing it. Are you certain thwir is not a counter spin nut on the other side? I though the shadows had a smaller size on one side so you can hold one side and turn the other. I have done my 02 Honda Shadow Spirit vt750dc rear tire twice without too much trouble using a torque wrench and a socket.

·
Registered
1997 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
78 Posts
I messaged ShadowTJ... he got it off! Here's his comments:
"Finally had the time last night to remove the nut.
I used the impact gun and hex soquet with an extension on the other side and the nut came out intact.
The previous owner used brute force that almost weld it.
I am happy that I was not forced to do extra task and don't expend more $$$ that the necessary
."
:)

·
Premium Member
1994 GL1500SE Goldwing
980 Posts
Is that picture printed reverse?
My Shadow, 86vt1 and Goldwing the fill ports for diff areon right side, as is axle nut, axle slides out left, wheel slides left off hub
Is yours the same?
Try gently tighten bolt, often breaks corrosion bond
No, '87 and up Shadows are left sided shaft drive.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts