Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a new rear tire and am going to install myself. SHould come in this week. My question is do i need a special tool to remove the axle. and what is the correct procedure. I am upgrading to a Metzeler 200/70/15 MME 880

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
moreira72 said:
Just ordered a new rear tire and am going to install myself. SHould come in this week. My question is do i need a special tool to remove the axle. and what is the correct procedure. I am upgrading to a Metzeler 200/70/15 MME 880
You really don't need a special tool to remove the rear tire...other than a good motorcycle jack. I have done it using a floor jack and jack stands, but it does require two people to get the bike on the stands. One to hold the bike steady and the other to position the stands and operate the jack.

Once you have the bike in the air, remove the brake panel support rod and brake connecting rod from the right side of the wheel. I did that at the wheel itself. Then loosen the large nut on the left side. I used a large cresent wrench, but if you have the correct size metric wrench or socket, go for it. Now loosen the pinch bolts on the right side swing arm. Using a rubber mallet, tap the axle from the left to right until it is loose. Now, carefully pull out the axle while supporting the wheel. When the axle clears the right side of the tire, the spacer for the brake panel will fall off. Don't lose this. :D

Putting it back together is the reverse of above. Make sure that you apply Moly Paste to the splines of the drive side and install the brake panel in the proper position. Once you have the axle nut tightened, tighten the pinch bolts on the swing arm. Also make sure that you properly tension the rear brakes after you insert the connecting rod in the brake arm. Rotating the brake panel will assist in re-installing the connecting rod so leave the support arm till last to connect.

As far as changing out the wheel, make sure your spoons are coated to protect the rim from damage.

Hope this helps.

Joe

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
cbjr0256 said:
Spirit_1100 said:
Then loosen the large nut on the left side. I used a large cresent wrench
Joe
Soooooo Joe you have one of them new fangled torque cresent wrenches....... :lol:
Torque wrenchs are for FOOLS!!!

Besides...with my highly calibrated and thoroughly tested torque "arm"...who needs them?

Besides x2...I only said I loosened the nut with a cresent...I never said how I put it back on.. :D

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
cbjr0256 said:
Spirit_1100 said:
Putting it back together is the reverse of above.
Joe
That's not how I read it....... :wink: :lol:
I think you read too much into it. :D

Of course he should use a torque wrench when re-installing. :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hey moreira72,

Drop me a PM with your mailing address if you want a copy of the Service Manual on CD. Since I screwed up on recommending a torque wrench on the axle nut...I might as well offer you the manual so you know what torque rating needs to be applied to it. :D

Joe

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Spirit_1100 said:
Hey moreira72,

Drop me a PM with your mailing address if you want a copy of the Service Manual on CD. Since I screwed up on recommending a torque wrench on the axle nut...I might as well offer you the manual so you know what torque rating needs to be applied to it. :D

Joe
You have been redeemed....... :lol:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
cbjr0256 said:
You have been redeemed....... :lol:
WHEW !!!! Your approval means SO much to me... [/sarcasm]

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
Hey Joe,

Can I borrow your torque wrench to recalibrate my elbow? That should hold me for a year or two...

:)

CB

·
Registered
233 Posts
Removing the wheels was much easier then I thought it would be. Just did mine for the first time. Do recommend a torque wrench for all bolts/nuts. I also upgraded to the Metzler 200, your gona love it. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.