Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, All.

On my 04 Aero 750 I noticed that the tab that helps hold the turn signal lens in place on both the front and rear left turn signal housings are breaking.

Besides replacing both of the housings does anyone have any ideas about fixing them...

Maybe gluing the tab in place, however if I do that how long will they hold.

Then again, maybe I should replace both of them, but were can I find some in great shape that are cheaply priced?

Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have an '06 Aero and went through the same thing a couple years back. Glue didn't help, I ended up replacing them (did it to both sides, of course). Since then the couple of times I needed to open them up, when I put them back I did it very, very slowly and gently.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glue didn't help, I ended up replacing them
Yea, I was thinking that.

It looks as though I may have to just invest in new housings.

Was it hard to change them out?

I am hoping someone on this forum has what I need, maybe they switched to aftermarket housings and have some collecting dust.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Yeah, cheap crap plastic, if you need to seperate them don't do it in the cold or when the housings are cold, warm them with a blow dryer first, I've replaced a set on both bikes and that was being as careful as I could.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know its not a long term answer, however I did use Gorilla Superglue to glue it in place and we will see how long that holds.

Maybe it will work for a while, maybe not.

If not, at least it will buy me some time.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I got a couple of sets laying around. I got a gutted set sitting around that I will let go for 20 bucks plus shipping. I'm sure they will fit in a priority mail flat rate box for like 7 bucks. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I'm not clear whether you're talking about the housing, itself....or the plastic lens that fits into the housing. On the lens, itself, there's a rectangular tab at the bottom, and a barb at the top of the lens. The housing has a matching indentation inside the top edge that the barb on the lens fits into. That's what makes the snap noise when you pop the lens back into the housing. By your photo below, it seems as if the barb tore the housing. The problem is usually with broken tabs on the lens. Btw, is that a visor on your signal light? Would it make the lens flex less and rigid to a point that it'll cause the "barb" on the lens to tear the light shell? Speculation on my part.

*For the record....the "barb" is on the inside edge of the housing....the mating indentation is on the lens. I had it the opposite way.

...............................................................................................

Here's the more common problem.

Fortunately, lens caps on Honda cruisers are generic. They're $7.00 per at OEM websites. '99 and newer models have a screw on the bottom. Whereas, earlier models have two screws on the front of the lens. The shells may have different designs to accommodate different rubber stalks, but the lens are the same. To replace the bottom tab, somebody suggested to me on another forum to use a rectangular piece fashioned from a plastic DVD (or CD) case, or equivalent thickness, and glue that rectangle to the lens cap. Of course, reattach the metal clip (#6 in the inset photo) onto the new tab. The metal clip provides the threads for the bottom screw #4.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, Ronw.

NO its the tab that holds the lens in place, not the lens.

I have kuryakyn deep dish bezels on all my signals and they look great and it don't look like they are putting extra pressure on the lens housing.

I super glued the front left a few months ago with Gorilla super glue and it looks to be holding, how long I don't know.

I super glued the left rear yesterday and it looks to be holding, but once again, how long?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Breaking lens tabs

I am a retired auto engineer and can see at least two design issues with the lens in the photo
. First, I'll bet if you look at the corners of the plastick just ahead of where the metal J-clips attach, there is a transition from the tab to a thicker portion of the lens tab. Very often, mold makers do not put in a fillet radius in this tansition which causes a stress riser (a sharp point where the stresses concentrate). This can be reduced or eliminated by takeing a very small round file or the doubled edge of a sheet of sandpaper and file or sand a round cornerin that sharp corner.

Secondly, the screw that goes into the J-clip is probably being over tightened and flexing the tab too far in the opposite direction of the support ridges molded into the tab. When you reinstall these tighten them only enougn to seat the screw in the housing, do not tighten past that contact.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I think some posters missed the fact that this happens when you add the Kury deep dish bezels as the original poster has,(the original lenses in the pics above aren't used) the issue happens when you attempt to tip the bezels into the base mount, they're an extremely tight fit and when the plastic is cold that small tab at the top breaks the plastic on the top of the base the bezels fit into.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts