Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
So I recently replaced the front two turn signal stems on my Honda VT500C 1986 and everything went smoothly.

for the rear turn signals it had the exact same stems but the way they are attached is different. Instead of having a bolt on the opposite side of the stem side that screws in and secured the stem like the front did, the threading from the stem directly screws into the grab bar.

when I removed the old signal stems (which were just about falling apart on the rubber part anyway) the only way to get them off was to tear the rubber off and then use a monkey wrench to unscrew the medal part of the stem with the thread. It took a good 30 minutes to do both sides as the thread almost seemed like someone glued it in it was almost impossible to unscrew. I had to put all of my weight into it without breaking the grab rail.

So anyway, now my problem is that the new ones won’t screw in to the grab rail without the same pressure applied. It is almost as if the thread is too thick. If I could re thread the medal part of the stem just a bit it would go in perfectly. There is no way to use plyers to twist it in because it would destroy the rubber. On the way out it didn’t matter.

Attached is a picture of the stem plus the place where it is supposed to be set.....any suggestions at all? I have put a lot of time into getting this bike to look decent and original with slight customization such as repainting the tank and rear fender from the stock black and I have everything functioning properly, I would hate to get stuck on silly turn signals.

I am almost to the point where I am going to buy aftermarket turn signals that mount differently but it would be nice to keep this part original and avoid the hassle.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,725 Posts
I'm fairly certain there should be nuts on the back side. Sometimes it's difficult to get everything lined up when dealing with the rear fender and the grab rail. You may have to loosen the bolts that hold the grab rails on to the fender so the holes line up better.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm fairly certain there should be nuts on the back side. Sometimes it's difficult to get everything lined up when dealing with the rear fender and the grab rail. You may have to loosen the bolts that hold the grab rails on to the fender so the holes line up better.
I know what you are saying but I actually disassembled the entire seat and rear fender and grab bar this last weekend Because I painted the fender and tank. This was at the same time that I removed the old turn signals.
The previous turn signals were threaded directly Into the grab bar and mounted there without any bolt on the other side. There was no bolt. If you look inside the hole in the grab bar there is threading inside. There is only two bolts that hold the grab rail to the fender and loosening them will not help as it is not related to the turn signal stem threading not fitting the hole well enough.

the issue is not with anything not lining up, the turn signal stem literally almost does not fit into the hole, it doesn’t slip through the hole to attached to a bolt like the front does. It is like the piece of metal that screws in to the grab bar is the exact same size as the hole instead of slightly smaller so that you have to wrench it with all of your strength to get it to rotate and screw into the grab rail.

the thing is that the ones a removed were the same, they were stuck so tightly in there I almost could not remove them from the bar. I literally had to put the grab rail on the ground, hold it, and use my feet on top of the monkey wrench in order to loosen the stem while being careful to not bend the grab rail for the entire process which is why it took 30 minutes to do.

at this point I am thinking it is the wrong size stem, but I think that the previous owner also used the wrong size stem during a previous replacement and somehow managed to wrench them in and that is why the ones I have still match the ones I took off and are just as tough to screw back in
I was able to find a shorter pair of stems that also claim to be rear stems and the set up is slightly different on the end that goes into the grab bar. I ordered the set and they should be here Friday so we will see, But the stems are shorter than what were already on the bike. Looking at a few pictures of other bikes of the same year, it looks like the stock stems actually are supposed shorter than the front stems where as before on my bike all were identically matched.

I have no idea why someone or how someone managed to puta set of front signal stems on the back.

it is the only reason I didn’t order the shorter stems to begin with because I thought the current ones were the stock ones until now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also, if there was a nut on the other side (which is possibly how the original signal was mounted), the fender would not make a difference. The nut would be between the fender and the grab rail as there is about half of an inch of room there (doesn’t look like it in the picture but it is there) but no hole in the fender, the way it is wired is the signal wiring is on top of the fender and below the seat and it feeds through

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
2,997 Posts
According to the Honda parts site partzilla.com

Both the rear and front turn signal 'stays' are secured to the bike with flange nuts on the inside.

12mm for the front
8mm for the rear

You definitely have the wrong rears there. The reason it's so hard to get out and back in is because you are trying to thread the grab rail instead of slipping it through the hole and attaching it with the 8mm flange nut.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the Honda parts site partzilla.com

Both the rear and front turn signal 'stays' are secured to the bike with flange nuts on the inside.

12mm for the front
8mm for the rear

You definitely have the wrong rears there. The reason it's so hard to get out and back in is because you are trying to thread the grab rail instead of slipping it through the hole and attaching it with the 8mm flange nut.
Well I am not trying to thread it, it is already threaded. The previous owner did the same thing so they already had the wrong stem in there which is why I ordered the “same” wrong one. I just simply removed the old one and ordered the exact part number as a replacement.

I now ordered the correct one. It doesn’t come with the bolt but I can find a bolt that fits at ace hardware or something

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Well I am not trying to thread it, it is already threaded. The previous owner did the same thing so they already had the wrong stem in there which is why I ordered the “same” wrong one. I just simply removed the old one and ordered the exact part number as a replacement.

I now ordered the correct one. It doesn’t come with the bolt but I can find a bolt that fits at ace hardware or something
You mean an 8mm flange nut, correct?

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Yes exactly. I will just find something at ace that is small and fits the threading of the new stem. I have no idea why the wrong part was on the bike
It's normal with used bikes. When I bought mine, the previous owner apparently was amazed at how difficult it was to thread his saddlebag support bolts which were SAE, into the metric threaded hole in the fender. He was equally inept at wiring various circuits on the bike and took me quite a while to undo the mess he created.

You'd be amazed at the number of guys out there who get a 20 piece starter tool kit from Sears as a Father's Day present and immediately start destroying everything they decide to 'fix'.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha. That is hilarious. Yeah supposedly the owner was a motorcycle mechanic and “kept everything as original as possible”

while I am happy that the engine is in wonderful shape, the handlebars are definitely not original! I kind of like them but I might end up upgrading at some point to something else.

I am super excited because I am having the seat reupholstered this week. The guy i am using does great work but I’ve been on a waiting list. He just said I can come in this week. Still deciding if I want to keep the seat original or keep the same shape but a different pattern that is more contemporary.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would have to agree with @Ramie here, there's a nut on the inside.
How would you get the locating pin in when turning/threading it, lined-up with the hole in the sissy bar?

Rather than debate this and guess what the PO had hacked/modified, just look at the picture of the parts at BikeBandit:
You can see the nut on the inside...

The PO probably put epoxy into the holes and pushed/threaded the signal lights into it before it cured.
I'm guessing that's why you had such a hard time "unscrewing it.

If the stem on the new lights are too short for a nut on the inside, you have the wrong Stay (#10) for that bike.
That eom part is $24 each!! but the same part number as the fronts!

jmo, not to be confused with the truth in any way :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would have to agree with @Ramie here, there's a nut on the inside.
How would you get the locating pin in when turning/threading it, lined-up with the hole in the sissy bar?

Rather than debate this and guess what the PO had hacked/modified, just look at the picture of the parts at BikeBandit:
He/she probably put epoxy into the holes and pushed/threaded the signal lights into it before it cured.
That's why you had such a hard time "unscrewing it.
If the stem on the new lights are too short for a nut on the inside, you have the wrong Stay (#10) for that bike.
That eom part is $24 each!! but the same part number as the fronts!

jmo, not to be confused with the truth in any way :D
yeah it is actually not the same part.I thought the same thing which caused the issue. We have already solved this. I found some other posts where there happened to be the same issue. So it is not just me.

The stem is TOO BIG (as in diameter not length) to fit in the hole which is the reason I started the post.

Since posting I have discovered that the correct part does indeed have a nut but is is a smaller stem that is about an inch shorter on the rubber portion and has a smaller bolt that is thinner in diameter. I never said the bolt wasn’t long enough, I said it doesn’t extend through the fender, it is not supposed to, But would fit between the fender and the grab bar if there is one.

the link you sent is the EXACT part number I have. I never said the stem was too short, I said the threading was TOO THICK to fit in the hole lol.

The reason I had such a hard time unscrewing it is the same reason it won’t screw in, because the diameter of the bolt of the stem is too thick. you obviously didn’t read the full post explaining the issue or the post where we have already discovered that I have the wrong part and I acknowledged it. I have the correct part now which is DIFFERENT then the front stems, and it works now. Free prime delivery comes in handy. One of the issues is that many sources say the 12-1209 part number is the rear signal as well and even your post
PO must have also thought the same thing.

this is actually the correct part for the rear. BikeMaster OEM Replacement Turn Signal Stem 12-1210 Amazon.com: BikeMaster OEM Replacement Turn Signal Stem 12-1210: Automotive

This is the one for the rear. BikeMaster Turn Signal Stem - Short Stem 12-1209 Amazon.com: BikeMaster Turn Signal Stem - Short Stem 12-1209: Automotive

Part number is slightly different and before the 12-1209 stem was installed in both front and rear so that was the problem.

really the 12-1210 is the correct part for the rear signals

·
Registered
153 Posts
yeah it is actually not the same part.I thought the same thing which caused the issue. We have already solved this. I found some other posts where there happened to be the same issue. So it is not just me.

The stem is TOO BIG (as in diameter not length) to fit in the hole which is the reason I started the post.

Since posting I have discovered that the correct part does indeed have a nut but is is a smaller stem that is about an inch shorter on the rubber portion and has a smaller bolt that is thinner in diameter. I never said the bolt wasn’t long enough, I said it doesn’t extend through the fender, it is not supposed to, But would fit between the fender and the grab bar if there is one.

the link you sent is the EXACT part number I have. I never said the stem was too short, I said the threading was TOO THICK to fit in the hole lol.

The reason I had such a hard time unscrewing it is the same reason it won’t screw in, because the diameter of the bolt of the stem is too thick. you obviously didn’t read the full post explaining the issue or the post where we have already discovered that I have the wrong part and I acknowledged it. I have the correct part now which is DIFFERENT then the front stems, and it works now. Free prime delivery comes in handy. One of the issues is that many sources say the 12-1209 part number is the rear signal as well and even your post
PO must have also thought the same thing.

this is actually the correct part for the rear. BikeMaster OEM Replacement Turn Signal Stem 12-1210 Amazon.com: BikeMaster OEM Replacement Turn Signal Stem 12-1210: Automotive

This is the one for the rear. BikeMaster Turn Signal Stem - Short Stem 12-1209 Amazon.com: BikeMaster Turn Signal Stem - Short Stem 12-1209: Automotive

Part number is slightly different and before the 12-1209 stem was installed in both front and rear so that was the problem.

really the 12-1210 is the correct part for the rear signals
Yeh, I went back to bikebandit and picked the nut off the parts list and it shows it to be 8mm for the left rear, and 12mm for the right rear.
Only Honda would do that, for what reason who knows, different dia. on left and right. o_O
Good to know you have a fix,
(y)

I'm guessing the stems you have are 10mm or even 12mm dia. and the reason the PO tapped the hole

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeh, I went back to bikebandit and picked the nut off the parts list and it shows it to be 8mm for the left rear, and 12mm for the right rear.
Only Honda would do that, for what reason who knows, different dia. on left and right. o_O
Good to know you have a fix,
(y)

I'm guessing the stems you have are 10mm or even 12mm dia. and the reason the PO tapped the hole
Yeah that is weird. On my bike the holes for the stem are the same on both sides for the rear and both sides had the wrong size stem. Yes I believe they are 12 in the front but since the rear blinkers were the wrong part before I can’t confirm what was “originally” in there. I am just putting the part number 12-1210 on both sides. It should work. I’ll be working on it this week doing the actual install. I am thankful for all of the feedback here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts